DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1297 Posts

·
Usually Confused
7,765 Posts
As soon as a guy tries to drag himself up out of the gutter, they drag him right back in.....wow.............................ha....

OK, I'll bite....went for a drive this morning (already) and found a 12 bolt posi rear with 4.56 gear ratio.

How about when I opened it up and found a ring gear spacer meaning it's actually a 3 series diff that can hold more desirable gear sets. :wink2:
See the rusty line between the flange and the gear? That's the spacer. A hack way of upping the gear count without changing the carrier. But, good for me.

Thinking 3.73:1 for excellent acceleration and with an overdrive tranny, half decent mileage to boot.
Of course this means I need to find a donor vehicle with a 5.3 liter and 4L60e tranny.

Sorry . . . . it was just a suggestion (the mods might want a new thread - dunno).

So, remove the spacer to allow room for a larger pinion?

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,242 ·
Sorry . . . . it was just a suggestion (the mods might want a new thread - dunno).

What sorry? I was just bustin' your chops...ha....

Ya, the pinions get larger in diameter as they get smaller numerically making the ring gear mounting surface further from the center.. Whoever added these 4.56's did it in a way that is not recommended by 99% of guys in the know. (online Dudes of course)
But, good for me because the seller didn't know it. :wink2:

·
JOATMON
16,164 Posts
FINISHED!!!!!

................the inside that is.......only front porch needs lattice and paint done. Oh, and stain the back deck....

See you all in the spring....thanks for following along everyone.

It's NEVER finished

·
JOATMON
16,164 Posts
As soon as a guy tries to drag himself up out of the gutter, they drag him right back in.....wow.............................ha....

OK, I'll bite....went for a drive this morning (already) and found a 12 bolt posi rear with 4.56 gear ratio.

How about when I opened it up and found a ring gear spacer meaning it's actually a 3 series diff that can hold more desirable gear sets. :wink2:

See the rusty line between the flange and the gear? That's the spacer. A hack way of upping the gear count without changing the carrier. But, good for me.

Thinking 3.73:1 for excellent acceleration and with an overdrive tranny, half decent mileage to boot.
Of course this means I need to find a donor vehicle with a 5.3 liter and 4L60e tranny.

I agree on the gear ratio....but I think I'd prefer a Detroit TruTrak…..you don't need the friction additive

My jeep has the 5.7L with 4L60E.....it's a good combo.....

Too bad you are not down here.....plenty of places to get used setups pulled from wrecked vehicles. A typical low mileage Vortec with tranny and wiring harness goes for about $2k

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,246 ·
I agree on the gear ratio....but I think I'd prefer a Detroit TruTrak…..you don't need the friction additive

My jeep has the 5.7L with 4L60E.....it's a good combo.....

Too bad you are not down here.....plenty of places to get used setups pulled from wrecked vehicles. A typical low mileage Vortec with tranny and wiring harness goes for about $2k

Everyone I find up here have at least 250K kilometers, so 160K American units of travel.

Only ads from western Canada have lower mileage. Are we some kinda gas hogs here in Ontario, or what?

I'm gonna buy a whole car so I can get all emissions items. They must be installed on any transplanted motor here in Kalifornia Junior, Komrade. A 5.3, 2003 and up has no EGR valve, so I'm basing my search there and newer. Not as new as VVT engines though. So, about 07-08 for the cut off. DOD bypass is no problem. Unless VVT is also an easy fix, but newer stuff is just too expensive and even with a couple hundred thousand miles, these LS style motors just keep on plugging away.

·
JOATMON
16,164 Posts
Now days, I don't think there is any difference between California cars and the rest of the nation.

In my case, I just had to make sure the engine was installed as it was in the Truck it came from....this included have the same exhaust (single). I pass smog with no issues....my 84 CJ gets tested as a 93 Chev P/U.

If you want, I'll keep an eye out for a setup.

I don't want to make you feel bad.....but...I paid $500 for my Engine/Tranny setup...

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,248 ·
Now days, I don't think there is any difference between California cars and the rest of the nation.

In my case, I just had to make sure the engine was installed as it was in the Truck it came from....this included have the same exhaust (single). I pass smog with no issues....my 84 CJ gets tested as a 93 Chev P/U.

If you want, I'll keep an eye out for a setup.

I don't want to make you feel bad.....but...I paid $500 for my Engine/Tranny setup...

Not the California cars, the smog rules. Same as your I guess.

5 bills? Wow. What car did your engine come from?

Appreciate the offer but shipping and cross border nonsense kills any deals.

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,249 ·

Yep. A larger pinion is found on a 3.73 gear set.
And it is indeed a 3 series carrier and better yet, it's an Eaton.

·
JOATMON
16,164 Posts
Not the California cars, the smog rules. Same as your I guess.

5 bills? Wow. What car did your engine come from?

Appreciate the offer but shipping and cross border nonsense kills any deals.
93 Chevy PU

·
Usually Confused
7,765 Posts
I'm gonna buy a whole car so I can get all emissions items. They must be installed on any transplanted motor here in Kalifornia Junior, Komrade. A 5.3, 2003 and up has no EGR valve, so I'm basing my search there and newer. Not as new as VVT engines though. So, about 07-08 for the cut off. DOD bypass is no problem. Unless VVT is also an easy fix, but newer stuff is just too expensive and even with a couple hundred thousand miles, these LS style motors just keep on plugging away.

Just out of interest, is the rule the equipment has to match the vintage of the engine or the vintage of the vehicle it is installed in?

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,252 ·
Just out of interest, is the rule the equipment has to match the vintage of the engine or the vintage of the vehicle it is installed in?

The engine/year/model of vehicle it was pulled from.

Basically, it says something to the effect of "all emission parts/controls must be used."

I will use aftermarket cats. I've been pulled over and had them take a look more than once in the two different pickups I've owned. They've never said a word about them.

·
JOATMON
16,164 Posts
The engine/year/model of vehicle it was pulled from.

Basically, it says something to the effect of "all emission parts/controls must be used."

I will use aftermarket cats. I've been pulled over and had them take a look more than once in the two different pickups I've owned. They've never said a word about them.
Same situation here in California.....

The CARB (California Air Resources Board) is quite happy for you to install a newer engine in an older car. Lower emissions...and the car owner typically ends up with a much better engine...better gas mileage...more HP...win win.

It just all has to be hooked up as it was on the donor veh...

·
Usually Confused
7,765 Posts

Probably because there are dozens of pieces of legislation plus quite literally hundreds of more detailed regulations governing motor vehicle operation and equipment, and most regular road warrior cops are simply not up on even a portion of them. Specialized teams perhaps but they are more focused on commercial carriers. Of course, you could have the bad luck to be stopped by somebody who has taken a special interest in the obscure, or a Ministry of the Environment enforcement officer.

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,255 ·
Probably because there are dozens of pieces of legislation plus quite literally hundreds of more detailed regulations governing motor vehicle operation and equipment, and most regular road warrior cops are simply not up on even a portion of them. Specialized teams perhaps but they are more focused on commercial carriers. Of course, you could have the bad luck to be stopped by somebody who has taken a special interest in the obscure, or a Ministry of the Environment enforcement officer.

It's always MOE. I've been stopped three times. The last time was about 400 meters from a cruise night on a Saturday....wannabe cops, these guys...

·
Usually Confused
7,765 Posts
It's always MOE. I've been stopped three times. The last time was about 400 meters from a cruise night on a Saturday....wannabe cops, these guys...

Cruise night - that's just not fair. There are bigger, and more polluting - fish for them to fry, but they'd have to work harder. Half the stone haulers that come from the pits up along the Morraine for starters.

·
Super Moderator
14,431 Posts
Looks like you have a good project on your hands. I don't recognize the engine other than it being a 4 bolt main V-8 4X4. Don't look like it has much wear on it, mains aren't even down to brass, no ring grove to mention. Looks like you lucked out. With all the gunk in the engine, they must have used Quaker State oil. Shouldn't be too hard to clean up. Maybe find an engine rebuilder and have them vat it for you.

I have seen sludge so hard I had to chisel it out, it is amazing what cheap oil with the paraffin additive will do especially in a cold environment like where you live. Seeing your project makes me want to go out there and jerk the engine out of my truck, hmmm ok so it don't. LOL I do still miss rebuilding engines though, that is still fun.

Don't forget the pictures.

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,260 ·
Pay someone to clean it? This is a DIY site, ha...

They are actually 6 bolt mains. Bolts from the sides thru the outside of the block. It's a 5.3 Vortec, LS style motor.

I ended up hanging the block over my solvent tank as the rotary pressure/hot washer blew a pump seal. What a chore. The last pic is after fixing the good machine and running it thru. The thing works great again.

Attachments

1241 - 1260 of 1297 Posts