DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
61 - 80 of 1297 Posts

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Looking forward to it. At first I wondered why you did not sell the house ( which has value ) and buy a bigger one. Seems like you have a nice area with mature trees and the kids are in school etc so why move. Save on realtor fees and land transfer tax etc. People buy old houses for the lot in River Heights where I am and knock them down and go up and larger. Plus you get the exact new house you want, makes sense now.:yes:

·
Super Moderator
14,441 Posts
How in the world did I miss your thread? That is one heck of an undertaking and from seeing how you do your car projects, this will turn out perfect also. I am glued to this thread.

I was totally amazed at how the last owners (or who ever) did some of the things to the house. You will have one good solid home when you finish, that is for sure.

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Looking forward to it. At first I wondered why you did not sell the house ( which has value ) and buy a bigger one. Seems like you have a nice area with mature trees and the kids are in school etc so why move. Save on realtor fees and land transfer tax etc. People buy old houses for the lot in River Heights where I am and knock them down and go up and larger. Plus you get the exact new house you want, makes sense now.:yes:
Thanks Yuri.

The school the kids go to is top notch so the wife wants to stay in this school zone. It's also far enough away that we have school bus service right at the foot of our driveway.

The drawback is that it's right on the main street and not far from it either but I'm used to the noise now so no biggie. The location does not lend itself to make good money on the renovation because it's on the main street but what the heck. This is a place to live, not a place to sell. Will worry about that when the time comes.

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
How in the world did I miss your thread? That is one heck of an undertaking and from seeing how you do your car projects, this will turn out perfect also. I am glued to this thread.

I was totally amazed at how the last owners (or who ever) did some of the things to the house. You will have one good solid home when you finish, that is for sure.
Thanks Jim.

It's pretty exciting around here even as I type this.
I wish I knew how to embed this into the thread. Anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaJSI-9FN8w&feature=youtu.be

·
Super Moderator
14,441 Posts
Are you operating the track hoe? That is a lot of fun tearing a house down with one. Is there a reason you couldn't get real aggressive with it?

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Are you operating the track hoe? That is a lot of fun tearing a house down with one. Is there a reason you couldn't get real aggressive with it?
Nope. Not me.

He was taking it bit by bit and stuffing it into the basement. Then he drove forward on the debris to get to the rest of the house further in.
He will start removing from further in into the bins and work his way back. (I think)

He hardly raised much dust this way as well.

I really wanted the aggressive approach to beat the snot out of my pain and misery place. We did have some fun throwing rocks thru the windows before he started though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai5EJuTu_4s&feature=youtu.be

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Yeah, I would have swung that hoe like a baseball bat.

Couple Monster trucks with chains would have been even more fun.:yes::laughing:

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
The hoe operator must have been a Surgeon in his previous life.:yes::laughing:

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Yeah he must be getting paid by the hour, the longer it takes the more he gets paid.:laughing:

Reminds me of a time when I worked with a useless bunch of Union guys that did the absolute minimum. "Nobody moves nobody gets hurt" was the motto.:whistling2:

Not all Union guys are useless, I got so bored I actually walked away from the hour + lunches and went back to work not that they liked that. They all got screwed later when the Company axed half our jobs with "budget cuts".

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Yeah he must be getting paid by the hour, the longer it takes the more he gets paid.:laughing:

Reminds me of a time when I worked with a useless bunch of Union guys that did the absolute minimum. "Nobody moves nobody gets hurt" was the motto.:whistling2:

Not all Union guys are useless, I got so bored I actually walked away from the hour + lunches and went back to work not that they liked that. They all got screwed later when the Company axed half our jobs with "budget cuts".
Nope, not union, the owner....
He blamed it on the bin delivery dude, but maybe they are using the cheapest and thus most unreliable company for the bins...just great!

I was planning on doing the footing forms this long
weekend. Again, another plan shot to heck.....grrr...I hate relying on people.

61 - 80 of 1297 Posts