DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1297 Posts

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
OK. Up to date. Spent yesterday moving stuff out and then proceeded to knock down a wall that was in the way of my rough in for the new basement washroom. It was also in the way of digging up the main drain pipe which will be removed and changed to PVC.

I am doing all this now and not later as I am keeping the slab and footings and I need to wait for the gas company to turn off the gas before demo can start. Since I've done everything else in a messed up order, what the hey.

Will have to get only most of it roughed in but not connect any pipes that stick up thru the slab.

I also busted up most of the floor tiles in the newly renovated washroom that was in the basement. Painful.:( What a royal waste of time and dollars that was.
The thread for the washroom is here:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/downstairs-washroom-renovation-170294/

Attachments

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Just curious, with the extra story are you having to increase the size of the basement wall footings and enlarge the wall thickness. Are they being removed? Forgive my ignorance as I have built 2 new houses but never reno'd one.

If you are digging around the outside walls I would suggest using DeltaMS wrap on them instead of plain tar. I have it and it works GREAT. No water leaks in even if the wall gets hairline cracks as it runs straight down the membrane.

http://www.deltams.ca/deltams_deltams.htm

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Just curious, with the extra story are you having to increase the size of the basement wall footings and enlarge the wall thickness. Are they being removed? Forgive my ignorance as I have built 2 new houses but never reno'd one.

If you are digging around the outside walls I would suggest using DeltaMS wrap on them instead of plain tar. I have it and it works GREAT. No water leaks in even if the wall gets hairline cracks as it runs straight down the membrane.

http://www.deltams.ca/deltams_deltams.htm
Thanks.

18" x 6" footings are fine and I believe that's what I have. If we uncover them and they're 16", I just have to call the engineer and they will still be fine with the soil I have. It's 4000 PSF according to my soil engineer's report.

I will pour new 10" reinforced concrete foundation walls. The current problem is that one of the 10" CMU walls without rebar has a crack in it being pushed inwards. The building code to this day still allows this exact configuration with the height and thickness as I have to not have any rebar. I think a change in code should be made.

The foundation guys will be installing the dimpled plastic? membrane over the tar. So it's double protection you could say.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Would seem redundant to put dimple plastic over tar and the whole idea is if water gets behind the plastic it runs straight down the wall on the membrane to the weeping tile. Delta MS is very tough and the backfilling does not damage it unlike the tar. IMO the tar will plug the dimples. There are other brands beside Delta MS which is Cdn. Same idea though and I cannot see why the tar would not interfere with the dimples and drainage and design. Tell them to keep the tar and refund you the cost of it. It may also have a chemical reaction with the membrane. NOT a good idea IMO.

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Would seem redundant to put dimple plastic over tar and the whole idea is if water gets behind the plastic it runs straight down the wall on the membrane to the weeping tile. Delta MS is very tough and the backfilling does not damage it unlike the tar. IMO the tar will plug the dimples. There are other brands beside Delta MS which is Cdn. Same idea though and I cannot see why the tar would not interfere with the dimples and drainage and design. Tell them to keep the tar and refund you the cost of it. It may also have a chemical reaction with the membrane. NOT a good idea IMO.
Standard installation around here.
The tar is thin. Not anywhere near the depth of the dimples. Any water getting past the membrane will trickle down the tar to the footing drains.

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I got the 3 post footings marked out and then cut around the perimeter. My grinder got an about 1-1/4" deep cut. Should be OK for jack hammering now. The concrete is not too thick.

The third pic shows an existing block post. I will need to wait for the house to come down to finish that cut out.

Attachments

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I should have known me better. I can't wait for anything.
Picked up some 2x6's on the way home and made up some bracing.
The third pic shows the quality that went into this house originally.

Attachments

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I moved onto the drain trenching after the footing holes were done. All the clay will be swapped out for new 4" PVC. The last pic is about half the length of the trench. :eek:

Attachments

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
A ton of digging done on Sunday.
Found an open abandoned pipe that appears to be coming from the footing of the house. I had to cap it off to stop the water from running in. No wonder my basement was extremely damp.

Attachments

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Are you going to continue the abandoned pipe to a sump?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks.

It's funny that the pipe just happens to be routed smack dab in the middle of where my new sump pit is going. Good luck for a change?

I will dig it up and use the trench created for my new sump feed. It's about 6' long now so not much extra to dig. About two feet I guess.

Only problem about my chosen location is that there is an 8" CMU wall there with a 6" thick footing below it. Need to support the floor joists before I knock down the wall.

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Are you going to continue the abandoned pipe to a sump?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
It's more like abandoned pipes. What a mess. I believe they T'd in a pipe that was from a basement window well. The Tee in was done in a fantastic way. They busted off a piece of pipe and just stopped it at the intersection. Then they took all the clay bits and laid them over the hollow area they created and back filled over that. Water all over the place feeding under the slab.

I found the weeping tile that was feeding the mystery pipe in what looks like an abandoned sump pit. More under slab liquid feeds.
Can't understand why people said my basement felt damp??? :huh:

Attachments

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I put up some supports so I could knock down the block wall located behind the left support. Of course I would design the main stack and the sump pit exactly there. The 6" thick footing holding up the wall is no fun to play with either.

I got the block wall down and the sump pit hole almost finished. About 5" more to dig. The hole should be full of water by tomorrow.....:(

Attachments

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Change of plans.

There is so much water coming in that gets around the weeping tiles, I've decided to rip out the whole slab. The footing will probably be destroyed as well so that will get re-done.

A dual weeping tile system will be installed with all the pipes tied together.

Attachments

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Perimeter fencing has been installed and water meter removed.
Permits and notice of project are posted.
Just waiting for POCO to disconnect and then see this thing destroyed.
Hopefully within the next two weeks.

I got the tree fencing and root flooring done as well.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 1297 Posts