DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an old Stearns motor brake that holds up a heavy attic ladder (staircase) when the power is off. It is 1.5 ft-lb and 115 VAC. It is not holding the weight of the ladder very well. I've tried adjusting the solenoid air gap, torque spring and it still slips.

Would it hurt if I replaced the brake to a 3 ft-lb model? Any other ideas to solve the problem?

Thanks for any recommendations!!

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
If you can make it fit, you can put any size brake you want on the ladder.

The current of a brake like this is very low, and they can be run continuously.

Rob

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
You can replace the brake, or you may also be able to adjust other parts of the system to make it work better. For example, if the brake is on the motor shaft and the lift is connected via a belt drive, you could change the belt drive ratio to decrease the torque on the motor so it holds.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I am not familiar with this type of mechanism but I know with garage doors if the opener isn't working properly its often the door springs aren't set right.

Does this system have a counter weight or spring? Maybe that isn't holding enough of the load putting too much onto the brake. Maybe cable mechanism to the weight spring is sticking? Just a thought.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Would it hurt if I replaced the brake to a 3 ft-lb model? Any other ideas to solve the problem?

Thanks for any recommendations!!
Unless the ladder has gotten heavier, a working 1.5 lb-ft brake should do the job.
http://www.stearnsbrake.net/
http://stearns.rexnord.com/products/install.asp

You could also check the power to the old unit, including current draw, assuming that when the brake is engaged it is drawing power and not the other way around. If it is the other way around then all you may need is a new spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts