DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Dyna-pro 30,000-60,000 btu little propane torpedo heater for the garage. I see them on jobs all the time (I'm a concrete finisher). My question is I'm hoping to be able to hang it from the ceiling 1) to keep it away from the kids 2) to save space. How low do I have to hang it to keep the place from burning down? Should I fire proof the area above it, especially where the heat shoots out? Should I run an exhaust flume and will that be too hot for my vinyl where the vent shoots out. I know to keep a window open while it's on

Thanks for your time guys
Mike

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Heat rises so I would want it on the floor.

Plus if there ever is a fire and your insurance company found out you installed it unsafely or not following the manufacturers instructions you may be "Up the Creek".

f you elec rate is not terribly expensive I would use a 240 volt orange construction heater instead or a couple 120 volt units.

I doubt Propane is cheap and if you have to open a window for oxygen then you are letting cold air in and reheating it which costs $$.

·
Registered
784 Posts
There is no way to vent a torpedo heater. The heat and flue gas are both discharged in a single stream of very hot air, there are no provisions for a vent. These are not a good heater for a permanent heat source and can be somewhat dangerous used in an enclosed area.

You waste half the heat you do get because you must have a door or window open for a source of fresh air. The cold coming in for ventilation wants to settle near the floor, having the heater hanging up would have the heat hanging near the ceiling and the floor cold. The rapid heating along with discharge of flue gas also creates a lot of moisture and condensation in the space. These things make a ton of noise too, I quickly tire of listening to it.

Spend the money to install a good heat source, a torpedo is not it. An electric heater like this one can be installed pretty inexpensively and easily heat a 2 car garage. It will take a while to heat up a cold garage and it will cost a little more to operate. For occasional use this may be the way to go. My son heats his garage with this heater, keeping it about 45-50F and then turns it up when he uses the garage. Here in Iowa the cost to operate is approx $100 per month for his insulated 24x24 garage.

A vented gas furnace will cost more to install but can operate a lot cheaper, a better choice for regular use. These are more powerful and can quickly heat the garage if needed. I heat my 24x30 shop with a hanging gas furnace, cost is around $40-50 per month. I also keep it set at 50 and warm it up when I use it. Either route will provide clean, even, quiet, thermostatically controlled heat and are a MUCH safer, better choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I figured it was a crazy idea. I'll just leave the garage door open a couple feet (it's aluminum). Not for pemanent heat anyway just a couple hours at a time while I'm in there doing my thing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts