DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you folks who live in the areas hit by tornadoes doing alright? jiju1943 hasn't been on the forum in 2 days, so I hope he and his wife are doing well.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Fine here. About 200 ft away trees were toppled, cars covered by trees, trees in the road, etc..

No deaths in the immediate area. Unfortunately, other area nearby were not so lucky. Death toll over 200 for the state (Alabama). People from surrounding areas making a run on gas.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,866 Posts
I was in the middle of two stroms, and had just a few leaves on the ground.
A coworker had 8 trees in his yard knocked down, but not a one hit the house.
The rest of his block was not so lucky.

His area was hit 2 weeks ago, and one house was almost completly repaired and now it is gone.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Wife and I were standing on the porch during some of this. Not the smartest move, I know. Anyway, once I told her I thought I heard trees breaking, From what we saw over the next few blocks and on northeastward, I may have .

It is like we were on the very edge of this thing. Our side of the four lane did not seem to have much damage.
I had about a 10ft limb break and a lot of smaller limbs/twigs. I count myself pretty lucky.

·
uva uvam vivendo variafit
641 Posts
There have been a lot of tornadoes in the SE the last two weeks. I was in Lexington, KY on Wednesday, trying to fly back to MS through Atlanta. It was a long day, but I can't complain compared to what people in Tuscaloosa and other parts of MS/AL/GA went through. I heard, but I don't know if it is true (most post-disaster stories are often not) that the tornado that ran through Tuscaloosa was on the ground for 200 miles as it headed NW towards Birmingham and beyond.

Someone filmed and posted this footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohIVzIZLuQ&feature=share

·
DIY Genius
12 Posts
Fine here. About 200 ft away trees were toppled, cars covered by trees, trees in the road, etc..

No deaths in the immediate area. Unfortunately, other area nearby were not so lucky. Death toll over 200 for the state (Alabama). People from surrounding areas making a run on gas.
Yikes, tree pulled out by the roots... By freaking wind... Can't even imagine!

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
A tornado is not like a larger hurricane with lower wind speeds. They are also very concentrated and I have seen every home on one side of the street gone and the other side untouched.

The real killer is the debris since it can easily go through a wood or steel frame wall.

Dick

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
A tornado is not like a larger hurricane with lower wind speeds. They are also very concentrated and I have seen every home on one side of the street gone and the other side untouched.

The real killer is the debris since it can easily go through a wood or steel frame wall.
Dick
I remember seeing a picture of a straw sticking in an oak tree, board, or something like that caused by a tornado. This may have been in school many many years ago, so I can't be sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts