DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am wanting to convert the top bunk space of my daughter's room into a sort of play room. I was thinking of getting a piece of plywood to lay down on the metal bars (it is a metal bed) and then cover them in pieces of laminate wood flooring. It is only twin size- I am wondering if this would work? I have been hunting the internet to find a similar project but most of them are the wood bunk beds and I am not seeing anything with the metal ones. If anyone can help I would appreciate it! :vs_whistle:

·
retired framer
51,420 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am wanting to convert the top bunk space of my daughter's room into a sort of play room. I was thinking of getting a piece of plywood to lay down on the metal bars (it is a metal bed) and then cover them in pieces of laminate wood flooring. It is only twin size- I am wondering if this would work? I have been hunting the internet to find a similar project but most of them are the wood bunk beds and I am not seeing anything with the metal ones. If anyone can help I would appreciate it! :vs_whistle:
It sound like it should work, how heavy are the steel bars? !/2" sanded plywood should do the job if the bars are strong enough. I am sure they will be.

·
Super moderator
1,832 Posts
yes - it will work quite satisfactorily.
the only issue I see is having a slick surface for the floor.
when kids are just moving around like kids do - could one slip out
and fall to the floor ?? I would suggest something like thin carpet
glued or stapled to the 1/2" plywood floor and you would be golden.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,884 Posts
How sturdy is the entire framework on the metal bunkbed?

I have seen them quite wobbly, and would suggest stabilizing the system, by bolting it to the wall if necessary.

And also bolting the plywood to the bed runners, thus preventing it from sliding, and as Johnny said , Carpet tiles adhered to the plywood will provide a better surface to prevent slipping off.

And depending on the age of your daughter, handrails might be handy too.

There are quite a few designs out there for wood framed forts, play areas, and other recreational areas as the top bunk on these, and a few adaptations should be easy to change to a metal frame.

ED

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there everyone! The framework is surprisingly sturdy. What it is is a metal loft bed but she turned out to not love being up so high. I hadn't even considered how slippery it would be thats a good point! And that square carpet tile would probably work out a lot better as the way the siding is on the bed I was thinking the laminate flooring would not have any push against it. As for the strength of the steel bars, I am not entirely sure! Has held up good so far- we have had it for about a year and a half now!

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,884 Posts
Is this one of those beds that has the steel tube things, between the frame rails, that hold the mattress up?

When my niece was small she got one of those fancy day bed things, with the small tubes that hold the mattress up, It worked great as long as she was 4-5 and weighed 35 pounds, At age 9-10, and weigh 60 pounds the tubes each bent and fell out , letting the mattress, fall through.

Hopefully your furniture is solider built.

ED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts