DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DIY Enthusiast
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pop a few tiles in my kitchen, remove the mortar underneath, and put them back in (correctly this time). A few of them weren't seated well, and now the grout is cracking and they wiggle when stepped on.

I've heard good things about using a rotoZip to get out the grout around the tile, and I've heard a sonicrafter does a good job on removing the mortar, but I haven't used (or own) either. I'm all for buying a tool when I need it, but I just want to know which tools will do this job the best.

The tiles are on hardibacker board screwed down to the subfloor.

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
DIY Enthusiast
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some reading here after the Fein recommendation. A search turned up a long thread with the up and downs of the Fein vs the Sonicrafter and Dremel.

For my needs (occasional use for home improvement), I think the Sonicrafter will fit the bill. I just hope it works well on the mortar! I can't find anyone saying they've done it and how it went.

·
DIY Enthusiast
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I'm not allowed to buy any tools until after Christmas without incurring the wrath of the wife if I mess up her Christmas shopping. I'll post up a tool review and a step-by-step on the tile repair on my blog, but not until the new year. :(

http://www.mydadsshoes.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts