DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(I applied a layer of minwax ebony stain and left it on too long. It is very dark. Is there anyway of getting back to seeing the grain in the oak without removing the stain completely and redoing

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
Wow, you're screwed basically. It's next to impossible to remove stain in such a way to make it uniform in appearance. Back to the lumber yard you go having learned an expensive lesson.............test the stain on the back of the wood or on scraps to get the look you're after.

It is oak which is a hardwood so you may have some luck with a rag dipped in mineral spirits that you can wipe up and down each piece of wood, but, man o man, that's gonna be a job.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i would wipe it down with a damp rag of paint thinner ,i think youll be able to kind of wipe or buff it .depending on how large of an area i think it is very doable. when done i like to soke rags is water then throw away

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey lits,
If the stain is already dry, then I would try washing it down using lacquer thinner and 4 ought (0000) steel wool. After you’ve removed most of the stain, make a thin mixture of the same stain you used just to even out the appearance if necessary.

P.S. Before you start get a GOOD pair of chemical resistant gloves and use them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Steve:

Thanks for your help. I will give a try and hope for the best.

Thanks again:

Thelits:yes:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. Laq thinner will knock you down and if there is a spark of any kind, well...........

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good point Mike. I forgot to mention that. As I used to tell my guys, "where else can you come to work, get high and get paid for it?"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts