I live near Toronto Canada and want to add blown cellulose to the existing R40 blown fiberglass in the attic. The house has a hip roof with qty 6 8X8 inch roof vents. The square footage of the attic is approx 1500 sq ft.
The builder blocked 80% of the soffits with fiberglass where the top plate and roof meets before filling with blown fiberglass. The remaining 20% have plywood nailed into the rafters to create air intake chute.
Now comes my question -- should I unblock the all remaining soffits and add similar plywood wind baffle venting or the plastic vent chutes. In the summer it is extremely hot in the attic so more intake venting from the soffits should cool things considerably. On the other hand, there will be less insulation between the top of the walls and the roof. Can there be too much soffit venting.