DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t suppose there’s an easy way to get this big rock over on top the stones. I can’t lift it. We picked it up on a trip up north and got it in the car but daughter and I were younger and evidently stronger. I rolled at 6 ft from where it was and had to quit. Maybe try another day?
1B0BD08C-606F-47F8-905E-BF104C8CEB7E.jpeg

·
Registered
21,907 Posts
It looks fine there. 😄

Pulling is easier than pushing. Could you wrap a rope around it and pull, turning it over? Use it's own weight. Use proper body mechanics. Are your knees okay?
But, get all that stuff out of the way, first.
(You're reminding me of work!)

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks fine there. 😄

Pulling is easier than pushing. Could you wrap a rope around it and pull, turning it over? Use it's own weight. Use proper body mechanics. Are your knees okay?
But, get all that stuff out of the way, first.
(You're reminding me of work!)
Kept my back straight an pulled by had over where I wanted it. Surprised that once I got it on the big river rocks they acted like a little conveyor belt and I was able to shove it where I wanted and kind of move it around a little without much trouble.

I wish I knew how much money I was saving doing this myself. It didn’t look like that hard of a project when I began but I was fooled! I’m glad Lowes is only 3 miles because I go there every morning to buy materials.

·
Super moderator
1,656 Posts
the older we get - the less we think of our "pride" going down hill.
where I come from, it is our "duty and privilege" to help out those that need help (for free).

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Do you have a hand truck? As you get older the helpful tools add up.

Bud

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have a hand truck? As you get older the helpful tools add up.

Bud
I never thought of that but a neighbor who’s loaned me tools has one. Wish I’d known of that sooner.

im renting a power washer for walkways an drive soon. Only $25 And if I get it late Saturday I don’t have to return it until 9 o’clock Monday morning

·
Super moderator
1,656 Posts
Don’t suppose there’s an easy way to get this big rock over on top the stones.
sorry - I misunderstood the original question:
I was thinking you wanted to pick the rock up and put it on top of a rock wall or something.
I wasn't understanding that all you wanted to do was roll it over on the same ground to a new location.
(my bad) = glad you got it figured out.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
sorry - I misunderstood the original question:
I was thinking you wanted to pick the rock up and put it on top of a rock wall or something.
I wasn't understanding that all you wanted to do was roll it over on the same ground to a new location.
(my bad) = glad you got it figured out.
dont know why bags of gravel & rocks don’t have weight on them. Only sf area of coverage. It’s too bad Florida doesn’t have any rocks I have to haul these down from trips from Ohio, Kentucky, WV, and Virginia.

·
Registered
15,908 Posts
I second @Bud9051 's suggest for a hand truck. Also, get pieces of plywood and lumber in varying lengths to put under the rock to push it (maybe next time).

As the years pile on the need for tools increases. Hoist one to Archimedes!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
A friend of mine had a big rock he wanted to move, so he threw a rock moving party. All the guys wanted to show off their tools and cleverness. We had 3 of every tool and lots of manpower. We wound up sliding it along some wood. Worked like a charm. And everybody had a great time.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A friend of mine had a big rock he wanted to move, so he threw a rock moving party. All the guys wanted to show off their tools and cleverness. We had 3 of every tool and lots of manpower. We wound up sliding it along some wood. Worked like a charm. And everybody had a great time.
Sounds fun. Next time I’ll know. I don’t know why I like rocks but I do.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Maine has very rocky soil so when farmers from many years ago cleared their land they used those rocks to build rock walls, they are common across Maine. When I was landscaping in the front of my yard I started hitting a LOT of large rocks. Yup a whole row of them along the road in front. Not sure if I'm ambitious enough to dig them out and recreate that wall, even with a backhoe.

But I have saved a few nice ones to use as a centerpiece with some flowers. No snakes please.

Bud

·
Super moderator
1,656 Posts
my brother would stand back and say - - - - "How many Buds do you think it will take to move this thing".
by "Buds", he doesn't mean buds like in buddies - - - he means guys and Bud Lights LOL.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I always use levers. Usually 2 or 3 long metal poles or even 2x6s. The trick is to roll it, not pick it up. I've gotten much bigger rocks than that out of a hole, rolled them up onto a piece of plywood, dragged them around the yard with a lawn tractor, then rolled them again to wherever I wanted them.

Anyway, glad you were able to get it moved without resorting to that. Looks great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts