DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak at the joint where the pipe comes out of the wall and connects to the valve that goes to the toliet. It is the solder joint that is leaking. I am not good at soldering and there is very little room, and it is close to the wall. What other alternatives are there?

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,472 Posts
I have a leak at the joint where the pipe comes out of the wall and connects to the valve that goes to the toliet. It is the solder joint that is leaking. I am not good at soldering and there is very little room, and it is close to the wall. What other alternatives are there?

How are you at un-soldering? Heat up the existing stop(valve) and remove. Clean up the end of the copper tubing and install a compression stop. If you have enough pipe sticking out of the wall you could cut it off with a hacksaw and install a compression stop. But it sounds like you are stuck with un-soldering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I have enough room to cut the pipe to remove the valve, how much pipe do i need for a compression valve?

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,472 Posts
About 3/4 to 1".

That should be enough. Make sure you install the eschusion (s.i.c. - trim ring) before you install the stop. If you do not have the room, install a split eschusion (never could spell that word) after you install the stop

1 - 6 of 6 Posts