DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· DIY Veteran
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets talk toilets for a minute. Replace my cracked toilet this weekend. The bowl was cracked long ago but my house has 2 full baths so there was no rush to replace it. Anyway long story short the job took about 2 hours due to cleaning the caulk ect from the old toilet/floor. Had to run to home depot to get a new water line and caulk because the toilet I bought(on sale)was higher than the old one. Only $5 for the line and $6 for caulk. Bought a new toilet seat $24 for it because the one that came with was cheap and flimsy.

A few things to remember when replacing a toilet it's ok to tilt it forward when removing or just keep it level. Tilting back is how you drain the rest of the water when your ready to.

One thing I did when I got the toilet outside is break it up. In my neck of the woods items that don't fit in the garbage can require a sticker that's $4-ish these days. I see so many people putting the whole toilet on the curb on garbage day only for it to sit there because it's either too heavy or they neglected to put a sticker on it. Yes they have weight limits too for trash.

The toilet breaks up quite easily with a hammer. Wear glasses of course and durable gloves. Tap the bowl gently so pieces don't fly everywhere then just toss the pieces in the can. I removed the tank before removing the toilet just to make the job easier.

This was the first time I broke up a toilet and it was surprisingly easy. Girl friend wanted to put it in her car and dispose of it at her house(where she lives they don't require stickers for trash disposal) but my idea worked out great. :vs_cool:

· Naildriver
24,902 Posts
A word of caution on the caulk around the base. Don't make the caulk continuous. Leave a gap at the back. You will want to know if it leaks, and if you keep it all holed up under the toilet it could cause damage below. You didn't indicate if it was on concrete or not.

I always use a wet dry vacuum to suck out the water from the tank and from the bowl. That way you don't have to worry about tracking water everywhere.

· Registered
2,734 Posts
Around here, if the toilet is working, some slumlord will grab it and install it. A functioning toilet is like a functioning car. Don't smash it. It doesn't matter how ugly it is. Somebody can use it. Recycling at it's finest! Granted you said yours was cracked, but for future readers of this thread.

· Naildriver
24,902 Posts
I remodeled a lady's bathroom and removed a pink..........hot pink toilet, sink and neo shower. I had thoughts of taking them to the dump, but instead I took them to our local Habitat store. I went back the next day to take a vanity and noted they were gone. The lady said they lasted about 2 hours. Some folks do retro bathrooms, I guess.

· Registered
8,123 Posts
I have a heavy plastic tub about 8” deep. I lift the toilet straight up and put it in the tub. No water spills in the floor.

Reactions: LS-6

· Registered
14,584 Posts
I remodeled a lady's bathroom and removed a pink..........hot pink toilet, sink and neo shower. I had thoughts of taking them to the dump, but instead I took them to our local Habitat store. I went back the next day to take a vanity and noted they were gone. The lady said they lasted about 2 hours. Some folks do retro bathrooms, I guess.
Some people just never left the '50s. :vs_laugh:

· Registered
2,455 Posts
My first bathroom remodel, back when I had no money, was of all blue fixtures. A plumber friend had removed them, almost new, because the homeowner got sick of blue and wanted another color.

Years later, when it came time to replace those fixtures I disposed of the cast-iron tub the same way as LS-6 did with the toilet. I broke it up with a sledgehammer. I always knew cast iron was brittle, but I was really surprised how easily it shattered.

· DIY Veteran
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A word of caution on the caulk around the base. Don't make the caulk continuous. Leave a gap at the back. You will want to know if it leaks, and if you keep it all holed up under the toilet it could cause damage below. You didn't indicate if it was on concrete or not.

I always use a wet dry vacuum to suck out the water from the tank and from the bowl. That way you don't have to worry about tracking water everywhere.
No, not on concrete. I have a split level house so I went down the basement and removed the drop ceiling tile in the closet right below the toilet to check for leaks. All is good. The packing nut was leaking on the shutoff valve due to lack of activity but that was an easy 30 second fix.

· Master General ReEngineer
10,539 Posts
Around here, if the toilet is working, some slumlord will grab it and install it. A functioning toilet is like a functioning car. Don't smash it. It doesn't matter how ugly it is. Somebody can use it. Recycling at it's finest! Granted you said yours was cracked, but for future readers of this thread.
Ayuh,....... I just delivered an ole ssteel jail cell toilet I found in a job-site dumpster to install in my new shop,......

Got a porcelain urinal to mount next to it too,..... came from a different dumpster,....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.