DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I flush the toilet the bowl and the tank don't refill. I took the lid off the tank and when I lift the "floater" up a little everything starts to refill. It isn't the ball kind of floater. What could be wrong. It is like it doesn't know it is supposed to fill until I lift up on the floater. Any help is appericated. I know nothing about toilets and need to fix this quick as I will have a house full Saturday!

·
Registered
38 Posts
After I flush the toilet the bowl and the tank don't refill. I took the lid off the tank and when I lift the "floater" up a little everything starts to refill. It isn't the ball kind of floater. What could be wrong. It is like it doesn't know it is supposed to fill until I lift up on the floater. Any help is appericated. I know nothing about toilets and need to fix this quick as I will have a house full Saturday!

the float is sticking; if it's more than a couple of years old, spend the $10 and get a new flush valve. It takes like ten minutes to install.

·
Registered
428 Posts
put in a new fill valve. A fluidmaster 400a is available at any plumbing supply place.
I agree:thumbsup:
If you already have a fluidmaster in place (and it's acting this way), just replace the rubber seal/diaphragm (less than 2 bucks) and it's good as new.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
The fill valve and float may have an anti-flood feature that stops the fill depending on how slowly the float descended. See if there are additional parts such as a tether that is supposed to be attached to the flush handle arm that pulls the flapper up and distinguish a flush from a tank bolt leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree:thumbsup:
If you already have a fluidmaster in place (and it's acting this way), just replace the rubber seal/diaphragm (less than 2 bucks) and it's good as new.
I'm having the same problem as mander. After flushing the toilet the tank occasionally won't fill unless I jostle the fill valve or turn the water off/on at the wall.

I've replaced the fill valve twice but the problem persists. Once I used a fluidmaster but this didn't solve the problem.

The water pressure is very strong in the tank. I'm curious if this could be causing the issue.

I'd appreciate any suggestions

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
It's very easy to install the valve so that the float rubs against the side of the tank---rotate the valve so there is plenty of clearance---that is the cause 9 times out of 10

1 - 8 of 8 Posts