DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I'm having an odd issue with my toilet tank. There is a gross brownish growth in the tank and I believe that because of this sticking to the current toilet fill valve, the toilet from time-to-time will not fill properly.

So I will replace the fill valve, it's inexpensive and easy enough to change. I had to replace the fill valve in one bathroom, and now this is the second.

However what do I do about the weird slimy brownish stuff?

I've done some Google searches and see that people suggest using vinegar, or bleach but then another video/search says don't use vinegar or bleach. There is no option to install a water softener.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

M

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No idea what's causing the brownish growth in the tank but if that water is from the same supply as the water at the kitchen sink I'd be not be using it for anything except the toilet until the cause of the brown was determined.
It is the main water, however when I spoke to a the guys from HomeDepot and Lowes they said that it is bacterial growth inside the tank. We drink from the main water source without issue (though we also have a water filter) and use it for cooking as well.

M

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you use any of those toilet bowl cleaners or dyes?

I have seen those dissolve and accumulate in the tank.

See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZyNmAy0Dck

I suggest that you clean and disinfect the inside of your tank. Close the toilet stop valve and flush the toilet. Then using your toilet bowl brush, physically clean the inside of the tank. Open the stop valve and let the tank refill completely and then flush to rinse out the tank. Wouldn't hurt to rinse a couple of times.

After rinsing he tank let it fill completely. Hold the float mechanism down and let the tank fill until water runs down the overflow tube. That will ensure the maximum level of water in the tank. Add a cup of bleach to the tank and let sit for about an hour.

Stop using any additives, cleaners or dyes that you may have been using.

To insure that the slime is not caused from bacteria in the water supply, clean and fill a used milk carton with water. Rinse the milk carton well and disinfect with a small amount of bleach. Fill milk carton with water from a lavatory faucet. That will insure that the water in the milk carton pass though the same pipes as the water n the toilet.

Sit the carton of water aside (opened) for a couple of weeks to see if any bacteria develops. If any does contact the municipal water supplier.
Yes, my wife uses something called TI-D-BOWL - the blue stuff.

Will stop that and follow what you've suggested...

Thank you!

M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.