DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When shutting off a toilet water shutoff valve, the toilet still fills up with water, but at a slower pace.
I am guessing a washer is not sitting correctly or partially destroyed.
Anyone know the name of this washer and what are the common sizes? Would like to go to the store only once without taking the actual part with me.

Maybe this part? a 1/2" washer

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Imo, best to just replace the valve with a 1/4 turn. Can't really tell by the pic, but it looks like it's a screw on type fitting. So it would be an easy swap out. You can pick up a new escutcheon cover to.

You can rebuild them, they do sell the kits. Up to you.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
There are so many washer sizes and shapes to choose from,
Then you may have to deal with a rusted screw that is holding the washer.
Then you will have to remove the valve from the pipe.
Then a new washer won't stop the leak...
Or, might as well replace it with a new washerless valve, aka 1.4 turn valve.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
compression

Sharkbtry

I would also replace the supply line to. Less than 20 bucks available at any box store. Just a suggestion. Up to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HD sells the Brasscraft rebuild kits. I keep a half dozen of the rebuild kits in my truck. 1/4 turns are better, but on most jobs I'm there repairing a toilet or replacing a faucet. For $3 I can just change it and move on. In my own home, I'll likely replace hem to 1/4 turns as the need arises.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
If the valve is a screw-on or easily removed to replace with a 1/4 turn, that's one thing. But often it's just easier to use a repair kit than replace the valve.
Especially if you get a little too rough removing the valve and damage the pipe going "under" the floor. I would try the repair first.

Reactions: huesmann
1 - 8 of 8 Posts