DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange question: my bathroom has a TP holder that is supposed to hold the paper without the bar. The 2 pieces secured to the wall have a circular bump that is supposed to hold the TP in place. Unfortunately, the standard width of toilet paper has changed since this was installed so the TP does not stay in place. There is a round plastic piece that bumps out on the arm pieces so it will not accept a standard TP holder bar. Any suggestions? I apologize in advance for not using the right words for the pieces...not sure what they are called officially called.

·
retired framer
51,347 Posts
I have a strange question: my bathroom has a TP holder that is supposed to hold the paper without the bar. The 2 pieces secured to the wall have a circular bump that is supposed to hold the TP in place. Unfortunately, the standard width of toilet paper has changed since this was installed so the TP does not stay in place. There is a round plastic piece that bumps out on the arm pieces so it will not accept a standard TP holder bar. Any suggestions? I apologize in advance for not using the right words for the pieces...not sure what they are called officially called.
post a photo.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,870 Posts
I remember those from 35+ years ago, What I would do is find an appropriate sized PVC pipe, and cut the right length, and use that as the rod from side to side, and attach that between the sides, and slip the paper roll over the PVC.

Might have to add something to each " bump" on the sides, to allow a small sized PVC to be installed, due to space requirements, but that is for you to figure out, I give you the idea, go with it, and adapt it to your needs.

ED

·
Usually Confused
7,968 Posts
Depending on the dimensions of the 'bumps' you could drill them out to accept a standard spring-loaded roller core which are available just about anywhere. If the holder is ceramic that might become tricky. You might need a right-angle drill attachment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
post a photo.
Here are some photos.

Attachments

·
retired framer
51,347 Posts
Here are some photos.
I don't think they changed the size of paper, I would bet there is some adjustment at the screws that hold it to the wall. There should be a little screw in the bottom of the escutcheons. If you remove them one or both may have slotted screw holes where they screw to the wall.

·
Usually Confused
7,968 Posts
I've not seen one like that before. I have a hard time picturing how it would have worked in the first place because it looks like the cardboard core would have to be wider than the paper to fit in the plastic ring. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
retired framer
51,347 Posts
I've not seen one like that before. I have a hard time picturing how it would have worked in the first place because it looks like the cardboard core would have to be wider than the paper to fit in the plastic ring. Maybe I'm missing something.
The plastic part is spring loaded to hold the side of the roll, My next suggestion will be a piece of PVC pipe that fits inside the roll.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,870 Posts
I suggested PVC before.

Those are pretty.

Give me a picture straight down from above, it looks like there might be a screw on the top by the post, in a slot.

This might be an adjustment point, Can't see well enough to say now.

If so, just loosen the screw, use an empty roll, adjust to fit, tighten screw, replace roll, use as needed.

ED

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
Buy a new holder.

I think that thing originally did have a bar in there (and you may be able to find/make a plastic bar to fit), but the design of that system just seems like a bad idea.

·
Registered
10,445 Posts
Yeah, the recessed circular slot in the plastic bits looks designed for a tube to slot into it. Can't be that hard to find a plastic tube of the right diameter. Worst case, get some plastic sheeting and roll your own with some duct tape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts