DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kohler toilet from the late 90s that has a really large tank. If I flushed once, it would clear about half the tank. This allowed me to double-flush in... er... emergency situations.

We were gone for about 3 months with the water off, came back, and the toilet has been acting up ever since in a number of ways. I tried replacing the flapper and other common fixes, but it was still having issues so I decided to just replace all the internals (which were as old as the toilet). I got the Korky complete univeral kit from Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Korky-Universal-Fit-Toilet-Repair-Kit/1000089015

Replaced everything. No leaks. Flushes and doesn't run. Success!

Only one issue... now, instead of clearing about half the tank, the flapper stays open until the entire tank empties. If you watch in the bowl it flushes and then keeps re-flushing as more and more water pours in. The flapper itself has an adjustment mechanism for more/less water, but adjust as I might it doesn't seem to change anything (or not by enough). I think it's for more subtle adjustments

Is there any way to get this toilet to only flush to half-depth as it did before?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Only one issue... now, instead of clearing about half the tank, the flapper stays open until the entire tank empties. If you watch in the bowl it flushes and then keeps re-flushing as more and more water pours in. The flapper itself has an adjustment mechanism for more/less water, but adjust as I might it doesn't seem to change anything (or not by enough). I think it's for more subtle adjustments

Is there any way to get this toilet to only flush to half-depth as it did before?
Nice job jb. Success. (y) (y)

You could try a chain float. It adjusts by moving up or down on the chain to control the flapper better. Available at any box store for a couple bucks.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Just an example of what I'm talking about; They have different ones, pick one that will work for your toilet. Some are universal and you pull off the rubber parts you don't need so it should work with any type of flapper mechanism.

Should solve your overflushing issue and save water and some $$$ on ur water bill. (y) (y)Just a suggestion.

American Standard Flapper and Chain with Float-7381129-200.0070A - The Home Depot

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,186 Posts
Put a brick inside the tank- the volume of water will be reduce accordingly... You will lose the ability to have a double flush - and will simply have to wait for it to refill as the rest of us do (or do-do as the case may be).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts