DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
You may recall that you helped me fix the water around the base of my basement toilet. Well now it's the upstairs toilet, which won't stop running.
There's a slow trickle into the toilet bowl, which seems not to stop, until I shut of the main water supply; and then it slowly comes to a stop over about 15 minutes. The water seems to be continually trickling into the overflow "C"
There are pictures below; but one thing I noticed is that if I turned "A" very slightly clockwise, water starts to come out of hose "B".
I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
..... john
Automotive tire Tire Yellow Gas Automotive design

Plumbing fixture Water Fluid Wood Plumbing

Plumbing valve Gas Valve Machine Plumbing

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,977 Posts
Correct. Looks like fill valve just needs adjusting.

If it won't adjust correctly, you'll need to replace it. No biggy, easy fix, about 10 bucks at any box store.

·
Super Moderator
23,989 Posts
It doesn't look like a flapper issue since the tank is full to overflowing the tube.
The fill valve assy has a problem. It could be as simple as taking it apart and cleaning some debris out of it.

·
Naildriver
18,660 Posts
The water line should be 5/8" or so below the top of the overflow tube. Adjust the valve to where the water turns off at the right point.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, is the flow adjutment the screw on the top of "A"?
.... John
It doesn't look like a flapper issue since the tank is full to overflowing the tube.
The fill valve assy has a problem. It could be as simple as taking it apart and cleaning some debris out of it.

·
Naildriver
18,660 Posts
No it is on the arm beside it. It looks like a screw. Turn it counter clockwise to lower the water.

·
Super Moderator
23,989 Posts
I don't think the adjustment is going to help. The float appears to be completely under water. That means it is not shutting off the water because of bad valve or it is stuck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You need to replace fill valve I prefer fluid master at HD Do not buy an opened box. turn water off,flush toilet and I use a large grout sponge to remove any remaining water in tank. I never ever reuse supply line. The toilet line is not the same as sink line. place towel under tank to catch any water that spills from tank or line. Easy job and it is a DIY (if you have tools, I prefer channel lock pliers)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
Well, it looks like your suggestions worked. I adjusted the screw as far counter-clockwise as I could; and the water now stops 1" below the overflow opening (see picture). It is, however, very near the top of the float. There is no water running into the bowl, so that's good. I have pencilled a mark on the water overflow tube and will keep track of the height. Can I assume that, if the water goes above the pencil mark, it's time to replace the valve?
..... john
Bicycle Bicycle fork Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar

·
Naildriver
18,660 Posts
Yes, air is captive under the float so it's position is relative to the amount of air it captures. Basically, as long as it floats...
Keep an eye on the mark and you should be just fine. Glad it worked out.

·
Naildriver
18,660 Posts
Your best bet would be to replace the entire valve. Inexpensive and bulletproof. Repairing one is going to be hit or miss.

·
Naildriver
18,660 Posts
Yeah, John, just turn off the water at the stop valve, flush the toilet, remove as much water from the tank as possible. Once you remove the large nut on your supply line from the valve, there is a large plastic nut that you unscrew and the entire assembly will pull from the top. Put the new one and secure your lines. Make sure your filler tube doesn't extend more than 1/2" into the overflow tube, and adjust it as necessary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts