DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i flush the toilet the water from the tank empties into the bowl but doesn't go down. If i don't hurry up and put the flapper down the toilet will overflow. I also noticed water is not coming from the siphon holes except one. Please help.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
I'm thinking the siphon holes need to be clean cause only 3 of them have water coming out of them
I agree. Depending on your water type (well, city) the rim jets can become clogged with sediment. Seen it before.

Heat up some white vinegar and pour it down the overflow tube and let it sit for awhile. Then use a coat hanger or proper sized L-shaped allen head wrench and poke through the rim jet hole and try to break up the sediment. Try that first and see if that helps. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
If the toilet is near to overflowing level and not flushing there is a local down stream blockage. When attempting to correct with the plunger, for better water level control, place the plunger in the toilet and fill the toilet with a pail of water rather than using the flush lever. Maintain a water level near full while plunging as the water level elevation is to your advantage.

This procedure is for a localized blockage and not for such things as tree roots etc. farther down the line.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
I shall try that, thanks
Yes, also agree with senior and bob. Your clogg is further downstream. My advice was for the rim jets, but they are not the source of your toilet overflow problem.

If following seniors advice still doesn't work, best to pull the toilet and investigate. Pour a bucket of water down the drain quickly and see if it backs up. You can snake from there as well. While the toilet is pulled, check that as well for any obstructions. Only cost will be a new wax ring. If you can't diy, time to call a plumber.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, now i can do the vinegar for siphon holes. I took q-tips and dipped them in bleach and swabbed out the holes most of them are working and some are not so i think they might have mineral deposits in them.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
I've snaked it and plunged it and i notice when it does go down the water level on the bowl is really low
The level of water in the bowl after the flush is complete depends on a variety of factors including the starting level in the bowl, the amount of water used for the flush, how fast the water is poured in, to what degree the drain venting is obstructed, and to what degree the drain under the toilet is partly clogged. But, if you repeat the flush with all five factors the same, the ending level in the bowl should be the same.

Usually the tank refill process adds enough water to the bowl via the thin tube to the overflow channel so to leave the level somewhat above the minimum you saw.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.