DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.... I am exaggerating a bit but the toilet in my bathroom is out from the wall about 6 inches and in a small bathroom where the toilet sits right beside the bathtub, it matters. I am hoping to get some information on how to correct this. First, a little information you might need.

Home was built in '27 with and has a cast iron stack with the bathroom on the 2nd floor. The kitchen being directly below it I was able to see the complete mess of plumbing when I had to replace the kitchen ceiling due to a broken water pipe (yes, I put a screw right through a cooper pipe while doing flooring because they put the pipe right up against the subfloor. Surprise, kitchen with a waterfall feature).

The toilet flange is lower than it needs to be and I've had to use an extra thick wax ring under the toilet. Below the flange is what I understand to be lead sleeve, for lack of better term. It's what is between the flange and the stack. It is somewhat pliable and it probably needs replaced.

The stack runs along the outside wall and then angles at the top, which is why the toilet is out so far. They cut out the top side of the floor joist and that angled part of the stack is resting on this cut out floor joist. As you might expect with plumbing this old it all looks to me to need replaced but my eyes can only see the horridness of it all, and not the true functionality.

I have considered one of those toilet flanges with the angle that gives you two or three inches but this seems to demand much more than that. I want to do this right without becoming the sequel to the Money Pit. Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

·
retired framer
44,506 Posts
The sleeve has been installed with a hot lead joint so it can be a pain to get out but then you can change to PVC or ABS for the flange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts