DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just bought an apartment. The home inspector said that there is visible water damage on my kitchen cabinets and wood floor. He said the water came from the apt above. I spoke to the HOA and they verified that the apt directly above mine had flooded substantially, the flood caused by an over flowing toilet. The flood happened perhaps some 6 months ago. The home inspector determined that the plumbing problem was fixed, the visible mold on my kitchen walls was dead and all the moisture is gone.

Before I move in, I’d like to know how I should disinfect my kitchen after it flooded with toilet water. I was just going to buy a strong disinfectant and scrub thoroughly, is that enough?? Should I be concerned with possible bacteria in my kitchen cabinets and tile grout???

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Yes, use a good disinfectant. The best inexpensive disinfectants are rubbing alcohol, bleach, and ammonia. These can be used on ceramic tile but may not be suitable for wood or plastic or Formica.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hello,
I just bought an apartment. The home inspector said that there is visible water damage on my kitchen cabinets and wood floor. He said the water came from the apt above. I spoke to the HOA and they verified that the apt directly above mine had flooded substantially, the flood caused by an over flowing toilet. The flood happened perhaps some 6 months ago. The home inspector determined that the plumbing problem was fixed, the visible mold on my kitchen walls was dead and all the moisture is gone.

Before I move in, I’d like to know how I should disinfect my kitchen after it flooded with toilet water. I was just going to buy a strong disinfectant and scrub thoroughly, is that enough?? Should I be concerned with possible bacteria in my kitchen cabinets and tile grout???
You "bought" an apartment?

Why didn't you make the people who sold you the "apartment" clean it up? It should have been noted in your inspector report, and should have beeen addressed by the seller.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
You "bought" an apartment?

Why didn't you make the people who sold you the "apartment" clean it up? It should have been noted in your inspector report, and should have beeen addressed by the seller.
I agree, but it probably WAS cleaned up, I'm willing to bet the O.P. just wants to make sure it is clean for their own peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I agree, but it probably WAS cleaned up, I'm willing to bet the O.P. just wants to make sure it is clean for their own peace of mind.
Cleaned up is one thing.....visible water damage and dead mold, as noted by the inspector, should require repair, remediation, and/or monetary concession.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts