DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

About 4 years ago, we purchased one of the Costco Water Ridge 2pc toilets that seemed well rated at the time. We got permission to use it in our apartment as we needed the higher seat.

After we installed it, a few unrelated toilet line plumbing issues came up in the building. A plumbing guy showed up saying that the line was blocked below our unit but was affecting the unit above. The guy augered it and came out with some rubber kids toy, from the apt above I guess because it wasn't ours.

Anyway, we've had ongoing and frequent clogs which are wearing us down. I meant 3 times a week, minimum. This is from regular BM use and normal to light TP use. We finally bought a pro type toilet auger and literally have to use every single time it clogs (it's impossible to plunge this toilet because of the shape of the bowl/hole). Let me say, this has gotten old, especially with ongoing health issues.

FWIW, the clog always seems to dislodge at the very end of the toilet auger's capacity (I think abt 3ft). I would think is likely past our toilet plumbing.

So, I'm trying to figure out:

1) is it most likely an issue with the building's plumbing below our line or

2) a deficiency in our toilet's ability to flush?

We're over this and want to get it resolved. Obviously, we can get maintenance to auger the line but they've done it before & we still have the issue. Also, as I've been trying to learn more about this, I've found some pretty negative reviews saying some of the WR toilets clog incessantly (seems to be completely hit or miss - with folks installing several of the WR toilets and some clog constantly while their others never do). I'm wondering if we have one of those misses. Any advice would be super helpful. Thanks so much!
(Please let me know if you need any more info.)

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
Living in a community with kids, yeah, you will find toys and other stuff where it shouldn't be. However, I have never heard of, nor experienced the type toilet to which you refer. If you want to eliminate the toilet's questionable performance, replace it with a Niagara Conservation Stealth toilet. Probably $159 complete at Home Depot. I have two in my house and recommend them to pleased clients all the time. Normal flushing requirements of the government is 1.6 gallons. The Niagara flushes completely on 0.8 gallons using a vacuum capture system. If, after you change toilets, you still get clogs, just keep reporting it to the maintenance people, as there isn't much you can do about other people.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Before you rush over to the store to buy a new toilet:
Ask the maintenance guy to clear your line with the toilet out of the way.
When you remove the toilet, place it in the tub, raise it a little bit at the bottom, and pour a gallon of water from a bucket in it. Anything other than water comes out in a good flow?

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,413 Posts
I had a client with two fancy decorator toilets that would not flush in a multi-unit building. Snaked them with my meager tools and then decided it needed a real pro who showed up with his camera and mumbled about bad vent causing partial flushes... He took videos, claimed the 20 year old lines were not plumbed right, blamed the recent remodel of both bathrooms by a prior owner of the unit and recommended getting a jackhammer, removing the tile floors and walls to get at the "problem."

I was actually ready to destroy two great bathrooms (I'd rather have my guys get paid to do the labor instead of the plumber). And after staring at the hole after pulling one toilet (they were on a common wall - kinda mirror image) and remembering the PRO stating the venting was bad. I tried flushing the toilet that was still installed - figuring the MISSING toilet 12" away from the other toilet's drain would act as a very nice vent - Well, the toilet could still not flush little balls of toilet paper without having to do it 2-3 times.

So - I sent one of my guys to grab the "plain vanilla toilet" from another bath remodel I was doing and we installed that toilet as a test - I'll tell you, that plain vanilla toilet could flush bricks!

The decorator toilets were the problem. Changed them out to one of the (then) more robust toilets. Problem solved - PRO fired.

During the problem I managed to stumble across a Canadian study that rated various toilets - apparently the researchers "invented" artificial POO from soy paste and rated how well a few toilets handled (wrong word to use, I suppose) the job... Now-a-days they use more modern POO substitutes...

Here's a great read for when you're on the throne...

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.map-testing.com/assets/reports/Koeller%20J.%20Lab%20Eval%20of%20ULF%20Toilets.pdf

Reactions: huesmann and raeyn

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Another vote for spending a few bucks on a better toilet. We installed a pair of Toto Drake high rise toilets in our house … took a few days to get used to the extra inches … flawless performance for 10+ yrs. You can get them for about $300.

·
Registered
10,710 Posts
I concur on the Toto Drakes, we have 3. The oldest is a 1.6 g about 20 years old. The other 2 are 1.28 gpf, about 8 and 6 years.

The need to plunge is rare. But if you need to plunge any high efficiency toilet, the best plunger I’ve found is the Korky beehive plunger.

Id recommend trying it before you need to use it. You need to find the angle the works best/gives best seal for your toilet. It will probably be a significant tilt forward on the handle, not vertical like a regular plunger on an old 3 gpf toilet.

it’s far easier to practice a time ot two with just clear water in the bowl rather than trying it in dirty water after the need arises.

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,039 Posts
I have the same toilets purchased from Costco. Also purchased for the height.
I have similar issues but usually from hard or long BM's. It is all about the radius of the bends and the size of the tube made in the toilet. I have a dedicated tool for making long into short.
I also use one toilet and if the BM is hard I may let it sit under water over night to soften up.
Adjusting the toilet tank to hold more water will help a bit.

·
Registered
appliances
3,159 Posts
Our house is detached.

For blockages I put a garden hose in the toilet & use rags as a gasket & give it a few seconds of 50 PSI at several gallons per minute & it works.
Watch that the water doesn't come up elsewhere.

Hold the rags down with a pole in case the blockage puts up a fight. Had that once for a sink blockage, it actually started to lift me B4 it gave up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So much great info and great ideas. Thank you so much for sharing!

We have to replace the flooring in the bathroom anyway. They put in cheap vinyl roll with a soft pad underneath. We have permission for a 110v washer/dryer combo which is in that bath. The pad underneath is so soft that the rollers for the washer/dryer have literally mangled the flooring. We purchased some 100% waterproof laminate that we'll install. All that to say, to install properly, we have to remove the toilet anyway, which is why I wanted advice on whether the toilet was a likely cause of the problem.

We'll definitely have maintenance auger the line prior to removing the toilet, then we'll auger again when the toilet is removed - thanks to the great advice here. I sort of hate to spend the money on another toilet but we're so over the clogs that I think it's the only thing to do. It sounds like there is a very, very high likelihood that the toilet is the primary problem, if not a major contributing one. Also, I really don't want to take the toilet out, install the flooring, reinstall the current toilet and THEN find out I have to install a new toilet again after. So, I think I'll just plan on making the switch.

Thanks again for so much great info. Now, off to read up on toilets. Riveting research!! :) But at least our apt won't be full of s*** any longer.

PS FWIW, I was saying to my spouse today that the last thing Costco should want is for the toilet we bought from them to constantly be clogged and full of excrement - when the one thing we keep thinking of is Costco and lots of crap. LOL. Not their best marketing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.