DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my entire asphalt driveway replaced three years ago. Tore the whole thing out and started over. It is now medium grey in color and has not been sealed. I read pro's and con's about sealing it and want to get some other opinions on this. From past experience I have learned that once you start sealing you have to do it about every three years in order for it to look decent.
Is it really worth all that work and expense? Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The color is typical from solar bleaching. Do you have cracks?

Sealing is more a protectant that sustains the life of the driveway. Cracks lead to delamination and freeze/thaw damage. The sealer fills the cracks and keeps out foreign matter that breaks up the top coat. It's not a permanent solution, but it helps stave off a new paving job for a few years.

If you are looking to seal as a strictly aesthetic thing, I wouldn't say it's worth it. let your asphalt live out its life and then replace with an aesthetically pleasing surface (concrete, pavers, brick, cobblestone, etc.)

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The color is typical from solar bleaching. Do you have cracks?

Sealing is more a protectant that sustains the life of the driveway. Cracks lead to delamination and freeze/thaw damage. The sealer fills the cracks and keeps out foreign matter that breaks up the top coat. It's not a permanent solution, but it helps stave off a new paving job for a few years.

If you are looking to seal as a strictly aesthetic thing, I wouldn't say it's worth it. let your asphalt live out its life and then replace with an aesthetically pleasing surface (concrete, pavers, brick, cobblestone, etc.)
He just put the driveway in, so I would think he would like it to last awhile. If you seal it on a regular basis it will last longer then if you didn't.
Now what to use to seal it is another question.

·
DIY Hack
1,306 Posts
What are the cons of sealing it? If it's faded today, and you seal it, I would think that the worst thing that will happen is in 3-4 years it will again look like it does today. If you do nothing, I'd imagine it will look worse in 3-4 years.

Unless your driveway is huge, the time and expense are very minimal. If your driveway is only a few years old prep work should be minimal. The average 4 car driveway will take 3-5 pails, so around $100-$200 depending on what you use ( that's $35-$70 per year if you do it every 3 years) and shouldn't take longer than a couple hours to put down.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
My drive holds 4 cars and I usually use 1.5 to 1.75 pails. First time might take a bit more due. Easier to take extra back to store than run short though. It's like painting, you have to keep a wet edge or you'll see where you stopped and restarted.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your comments. My driveway is 2600 sqft so it will take about 10 five gallon buckets to seal it the first time. Iv'e looked at some other driveways in the neighborhood that haven't been sealed and they seem to be holding up quite well. The ones that have been sealed look great at first and then no so good in a couple of years. Sealed ones have just as many cracks as unsealed ones. Some folks swear by sealing and others, including asphalt contractors, have said not to seal, that the asphalt needs to "breathe". Who to believe!
Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts