DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im getting a mix of both sides. I have read not to seal travertine stone on a shower wall, as since its nearly impossible to completely seal the stone (holes and pits) and grout, water will get behind it and have less chance getting out.

Should I at least seal the stone for the niche and corner shelves?

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Yes---seal the stone--yes,yes,yes---and yes again--if you don't you will have a devil of a time with the soap scum turning black.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
That would have been one of the last types of tiles I would have chosen for a shower.
As mentioned to soft and full of pores.
Seal, two coats.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
You need to seal the stone, I agree. Your choice is penetrating sealer or a stone enhancer, depends on the look you want. Both of these types of sealers allow moisture to invade and also escape as they are "breathable". If you used a topical sealer, (usually acrylic), the finish might peel off since it seals the stone and grout completely. You do not want to seal the stone completely. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but you don't...trust me.

Find a couple of possibilities then post again for more advice.

Jaz

Reactions: bhollehday

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You need to seal the stone, I agree. Your choice is penetrating sealer or a stone enhancer, depends on the look you want. Both of these types of sealers allow moisture to invade and also escape as they are "breathable". If you used a topical sealer, (usually acrylic), the finish might peel off since it seals the stone and grout completely. You do not want to seal the stone completely. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but you don't...trust me.

Find a couple of possibilities then post again for more advice.

Jaz
What category does Tenax Proseal fall under? Is that a good choice for the travertine Ive got? I should have enough layin around to seal the travertine up..

Well im going to go wipe down the stone with some simple green so i can let it dry and seal it in the next couple of days.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
It's the right type and if their claims are even half right it's a great sealer for your travertine shower.

Jaz

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's the right type and if their claims are even half right it's a great sealer for your travertine shower.

Jaz
So earlier you mention not to seal the stone completely. Were you referring to if I use an acrylic sealer? So I'm going to go home and apply proseal top to bottom of the stone. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
What I meant was you never want to use a sealer that is topical cuz when moisture finds its way behind the tiles it'll naturally want to evaporate, which could make the topical sealer peel. So, I meant that a topical sealer which is acrylic, will seal completely, (kinda like varnish) and is not appropriate. You want a sealer that breathes so vapor can evaporate.

Apply several thin coats of that sealer as directed. It sounds like it's an excellent product. They claim it's better than Miracle's 511 Impregnator, and that's saying something.

Jaz

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have honed travertine tiles in my shower. They've been there for 13 years now. They get cleaned weekly with dilute Dawn dish detergent. Every few years, I clean them with a stone cleaner then apply a stone sealer enhancer. It's mainly because I want the tiles and grout darker, not for sealing. Sometimes, I apply the enhancer on just the grout lines with an artist's brush.

They don't have black soap scum marks. If you want easy cleaning and maintenance, stick to body wash. Don't use bar soaps obviously because bars have hardeners that get suspended in water and gets sprayed all over your tiles when you take a shower. That's your soap scum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.