Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've got another idea.....

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an issue I'm trying to get around. As I'm getting ready to tile I realize that with the required thickness and slope that a mortar bed require I'm going to have to either:

1 - create a boarder and leave the main floor lowered/recessed

2 - raise the rest of the floor just shy of 2" to match where the edge of the curdles shower will need to end, or

3 - some other clever option that I haven't thought of yet (insert all of you!)

Now - we're going for final product ascetic, functionality, and ease of execution. I think that option 1 has the possibility to look cool and different in an already awkward space, but also has the possibility of falling down on its face.

Option 2 has the possibility to look the cleanest. As far as functionality however, the entrance to the bathroom is already about a 6-in step up from the master bedroom and the pocket door frame has already been installed. I worry that raising the floor in the entire space will cause issues with finding a shorter door for the frame and potentially for finishing a new trim end piece for the master to bathroom transition.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Raised bed will not add to floor stiffness if that's what you're going for. You may not like it but smaller mosaic floor tiles adapt better if your floor is not as stiff as called for tiles. Consider high end shower instead of a tub so weight becomes non factor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts