DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're buying a house with a corner propane fireplace and I think it's a bit too dark and overbearing for the space. I wonder if I should paint it a white colour or leave it as is. If I do decide to paint it, how would I go about it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, forgot to add a pic! It's surrounded by some type of wood but not sure what exactly it is. I've seen many fireplaces with this type of surround but I think it's starting to look a little dated and this one just looks huge in the smallish living room.

Attachments

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
I much prefer a stained wood to a layer of paint. Plus it matches the floor nicely.

Yeah, it might look a bit big. But a painted elephant in the room is still an elephant in the room.

If it were my place I'd leave it.

At least live with it a while. It's very hard to undo painted wood.

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
You say "We're buying a house." Does that mean that the furniture pictured is not yours?

The couches, rug and wall colors all tend to blend together and disappear leaving just the fireplace. If that is not your furniture, and you get more color in there, you might find it is not as bad as you think.

I know others disagree, but I just really hate to paint a nice wood.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like it like it is. You could probably remove and store the top knic-knack shelf and put a plasma TV on top of the actual mantel part. Since it is in the corner, you would be able to watch TV from anywhere in the room.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I am no interior decorator, but spin that love seat back against the wall.The way it is now gives a hallway effect and projects the firplace too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts