DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done mudding and it doesn't look like I used to much but according to calculators I did.

This is what I have 10 sheets of rock 2x8s, 4x10s, 4x12s. Now according to calculators its saying one 4 gallon of pre mix for ten boards. I ended up using two 4 gallon and half a 3.5 gallon.

I also had 10s and 12s. 12 eight foot corner joints which is close to 100 foot and half of those were cutting into existing walls. and about 60ft of cutting into the ceiling that already existed.

Kind of late now, but more or less wondering for future jobs. I did go 3 coats, tape coat, second coat with a 6 in knife and finish coat with a 10 inch knive.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You didnt mention corner beads but they take as much joint compound as 10 seams. Inside corners and butt seams take more too. And with newbies you have to figure on half a bucket splattered on the floor. :laughing:

Use a 12"+ knife to check your seems

Wipe down walls them look for more imperfections. Use a work light on walls to see better. Prime walls then look for more imperfections.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You didnt mention corner beads but they take as much joint compound as 10 seams. Inside corners and butt seams take more too. And with newbies you have to figure on half a bucket splattered on the floor. :laughing:

Use a 12"+ knife to check your seems

Wipe down walls them look for more imperfections. Use a work light on walls to see better. Prime walls then look for more imperfections.
Thanks yeah I had some spillage probably not quite half a bucket but probably a quarter. Out of the 12 corners, 2 were out edges with corner beads.

Definitely going to be some sanding. But nothing like 1/4 in of mud or anything to sand through

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Your only worry should be what it looks like in the end, not the amount used. It is not as if compound costs a bundle. Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts