DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So the age old question of basement flooring...To layover or NOT to layover ?

I have 1969 Parquet flooring in good condition, dry no mold, some squeaking. Time to remodel the basement. I purchased 12MM-LAMINATE FLOORING MEGALOC Mono Serra. Layers: foundation then plywood and then glued parquet. Do I screw in noisy parquet, install underlay then laminate flooring? OR Do I remove parquet then install underlay then install flooring? Again no visible damage, no mold, no musty smell in Basement. Seems leveled.

What to do? Any advice ?

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Wait....... You had installed real wood parquet below grade over plywood, and it's still working for you? I think you have been lucky.

I don't think there's a wood flooring manufacturer that thinks that's a good idea.

Regardless, I think you need to remove it and review all the installation instructions for your new flooring.

Jaz

Reactions: Montreal_Guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess back in 1969 they had a different way of doing things. yes, everything is fine no bubbling, no mold nothing other than some squeaking, all below grade. Thnaks for your feedback Jaz man. Grazie!

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Prego, Montreal Guy.

No, they did not have a different way to do things in '69. But you can do things wrong and it can still work fine.

Jaz

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Your floor was installed when it was known water doesn't soak through concrete like a sponge but rather can condense moisture on the surface under the correct conditions. It seems that people has gotten dumber than dumb and now plastic is usually recommended.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts