DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I would like some advice pertaining to insulating a storage shed, particularly if I would be doing more harm than good. My concern is moisture and the potential buildup of mold or odors. Here are bullet points on the application – location is Georgia = hot and humid in the summer, (80’s-90’s) typically mild winters but can reach into the teens and 20’s (f) in the winter. The shed is 12x24 made from a wood pressed composite material that was assembled and pre-primed at the factory, I will finish it this spring with a good exterior paint. It is about 7ft. tall at the walls but goes up to about 10ft at its peak. It has two 10x16 vents towards the bottom of the unit, one on each side of the unit and at opposite ends. I also had them add a 4 foot long roof vent in the center of the roof and it has asphalt shingles. I do not plan on heating or cooling the space. 2/3 of It will be used for storage like power equipment, gas, oil, paint and other general working tools for around the house. The other 1/3 will be for storing totes of indoor seasonal decorations, and other items for occasional indoor use since indoors storage space is limited. I have already had the unit wired and I am at the point of deciding if the unit should be insulated and if so, what kind of insulation. I was planning on using a thin plywood on the inside for the walls if insulating is a good idea. I will not spend a lot of time in there and will use a small electrical heater to knock the chill off in the winter when needed and a fan in the summer. From what I have described, is this even necessary or even a good idea because of my moisture concern? :vs_worry:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts