DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really appreciate some advice on a garden landscaping project.

I have a 9 x 10 metre garden overgrown with weeds which I've stripped down to soil using a turf cutter. I'd like a large area of the space to have Indian stone put down and a decking area too.

I've read in a lot of places the need to dig about 6 inches to enable the placement of 100mm MOT sub-base and 50mm sharp sand, before placement of the stone flags. This will generate a lot of soil which will require costly removal.

My question is, is it possible to 'build upward' instead of digging. Im thinking to place 8 inch width treated timber sleepers around the perimeter of the garden and into place with stakes, then to line with membrane then fill with 4 inches of MOT compacted and further 2 inch of sharp sand. Is there a problem with this approach?

If this is not a good idea for whatever reason, then regarding soil digging:
1. Is it very time consuming and practical to manually dig 6 inch deep into soil for an area 10m x 9m or is a mini digger recommended?
2. What is the average cost of a mini digger and soil removal services?

Thanks in advance!

Kash

Attachments

·
retired framer
49,123 Posts
A membrane would trap water, I doubt that is a good idea.
I have built a drive over top soil by first adding 3/4" crushed stone and compacting that into the soil with a plate compactor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A membrane would trap water, I doubt that is a good idea.
I have built a drive over top soil by first adding 3/4" crushed stone and compacting that into the soil with a plate compactor.
How long ago did you build your drive Nealtw? Did you have any issues with ground movement building on topsoil?
Also, regarding membranes, how would you control weed growth without use of fabric membrane??
Thanks

·
retired framer
49,123 Posts
How long ago did you build your drive Nealtw? Did you have any issues with ground movement building on topsoil?
Also, regarding membranes, how would you control weed growth without use of fabric membrane??
Thanks
It was many years ago and a few houses ago, it didn't give me any trouble for the 2 or 3 years i was there, you said membrane, fabric would make the sense but weeds grow at the surface more likely seeds blowing in the wind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts