DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
JOATMON
17,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To Compress or Not to Compress, that is the question.

I have a Carrier 8000 FAH unit with integral evap.....but no condenser.

Living 4 miles from the beach, dealing with the few days of hot weather has not been an issue. But considering my house is now well insulated....the thought of having AC so we can close the windows and not have to worry about dust and noise is sounding better and better.

Logistically, it would not be hard to install. I have a great spot on the side of the house. Run the lines up behind the fireplace....then about 10' over to the unit in the attic. Condensate line would follow the same path.

Hardest job would be the conduit for power. Even that would not be too difficult. 30' Feet at most with only 3 90's.

My FAU is 70K BTU. House is 2100 sq ft....even on cold mornings (low 30's), setback thermostat is set for 62 during the night....rarely does it get that low....and in the morning...20 min to bring the temp up to 70.

I don't need the inside to be 68 deg. I'm thinking 75 or so....but more importantly, the AC would reduce the humidity.

I'm assuming I don't 'have' to use a Carrier condenser.

What brand?...what size?

·
JOATMON
17,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a Carrier Weathermaker mid efficiency gas furnace?

Does it have a evaporator coil in the ductwork already?
As in this guy?

Yup

But, I installed the system around 2006 and it may not be compatible with the latest tree huger freon.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Probably has a 10 SEER coil and may not work well with a 13 SEER condensor plus you need to know if it is a 2 ton coil or whatever.

People have cobbled together systems like that but I don't think it is a good idea.

If you want get a matching Goodman system from Alpine home air or whoever is reputable and install it. Probably get it for under $1500.

Do a load calc to get the proper size.

I am pretty sure that furnace has a 3 ton blower but you should check the specs or post the model #. Should have a 24 or 36 in the model # if it is a 2 ton or 3 ton blower.

That return box, coil setup looks unusual to me but hopefully Beenthere will be here later to give you more advice. Then again I don't see many attic units and they usually have a flat vertical coil or box coil.

Do you get salt spray from the ocean? Apparently it corrodes the heck out of condensors and they make special ones for near the ocean. Can't remember if it is the aluminum fins or what is the issue.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcategory.cfm?categoryID=92

http://www.hvaccomputer.com/gtarget1.asp?kwx=6&adx=3&gclid=CMjGvu7Kw7UCFe4-MgodPF4AoQ

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Have not see one of those in a long time and it is not Winter. Probably has a 3 ton blower but you should check the install manual or specs if you can find them.

2100 sq ft I would guess you need a 3 ton unit in California.

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
Have not see one of those in a long time and it is not Winter. Probably has a 3 ton blower but you should check the install manual or specs if you can find them.

2100 sq ft I would guess you need a 3 ton unit in California.
Maybe 2 tons. Lots of areas in Cali the breeze is enough to keep the house comfortable.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
I have a Carrier 8000 FAH unit with integral evap.....but no condenser.
what's this? an air handler? furnace with coil installed but no condenser?

At the end of the day the coil must match, if it was installed when 10 seer with the minimum i sure wouldn't use it for a 13 seer. the metering device should match too.

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
As in this guy?

Yup

But, I installed the system around 2006 and it may not be compatible with the latest tree huger freon.
2006? May be a 13 SEER coil then, as that is the year that started nothing under 13 SEER was allowed to be made.

That coil wasn't installed properly though. It shouldn't be directly attached to the furnace. A transition should have been made to to increase from teh furnace opening to the plenum's inlet opening. Gives better air flow through the entire coil, instead of jamming through just the part directly ahead of the heat exchanger cells.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I've seen a bunch of those coils. Best thing about them is they are really easy to clean. Take the screws off the top and you have access to everything. I've never installed one, they are kind of flimsy. All the sides are duct board. They would not pass code now because the insulation is not thick enough. But they work. I agree it should be moved off the heater but everyone I've ever seen has been installed just like that. If you use it tell your contractor to keep the ducts as far forward as possible. The airflow is not good at the beginning of the plenum. I don't know the Seer offhand, they are piston coils, they do work. Just don't lean on it lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.