DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK you win there are two wires into box and only one down to light switch but can you tell me how each switchis then to be wired....ie colors to terminals. Thank you so much

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Sure we'll get you through that part. Does it look like you can mount an old work box, they have clips to hold the box to sheet rock, on the inside of the door so you can easily fish a cable between them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a7ecorsair

Yes I have cut the hole, I have the remodel box, and I ran the wire through the wall to second box.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
hummmm, somehow we have two threads going on this...will continue using this one.
Do you have two three way switches and did you run a three wire cable between the boxes so you have a black, red, and white wire at each switch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes and sorry

Sorry but I wasnt sure that this reply would go to you. I screwed up with the second thread. Yes I have two 3way switches and I actually ran a 4 stran wire. Its all I had.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
3 wires and 1 bare wire. black white red and a bare
Good deal,
Your three way switches should have one screw that is different, usually black, from the other two.
Box 1
Connect the white wire coming from the light to the black screw on the first switch. It should have some black tape wrapped on it to ID it as a hot wire.
Connect the black wire in your new cable to the black wire coming from the light,
Connect the white wire (again, wrap with black tape) and the red wire to the other two screws on the first switch.
Connect the ground to the switch and to the ground wire coming from the light.
Box 2
Connect the black wire to the black screw.
Connect the white (wrap with tape) and the red to the other two screws.
The ground wires get connected to the switch ground

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are the man. Sorry but I know cattle and loblolly pines. I don't have a clue with electricity. Post if you ever need a farming hand. Thanks again and I will remember.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts