DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I have no idea how to use this?
Why are there 3 scales for measurements in 32?
Which do I use? The tires I ended up buying used (for one of my cars) are supposed to be 10’32 when new. They are continental contipros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
DIY Veteran
666 Posts
1/32 of an inch increments.The general rule of thumb is 3/32" is minimum for when you need new tires. An easy way to figure that is using a penny. If the tread is past Lincolns head or past you're good to go.

Ooops i didn't notice you're in canada. An american penny I'm referring to.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still confused. Which do I look at? Not using mm. Going to use the ‘32 measurement. But which of the ‘32 do I use? The tires are well close to 9’32 but I want to measure them

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1/32 of an inch increments.The general rule of thumb is 3/32" is minimum for when you need new tires. An easy way to figure that is using a penny. If the tread is past Lincolns head or past you're good to go.

Ooops i didn't notice you're in canada. An american penny I'm referring to.

Ya I think people use the loonie now to measure somehow.

We don’t even have pennies anymore!!!

·
DIY Veteran
666 Posts
Ya I think people use the loonie now to measure somehow.

We don’t even have pennies anymore!!!

For the record I don't use anything to gauge my tires.When they're getting "bald" I'll get new ones especially if it's close to winter time like I just did last fall on my 2003 S-10 pickup.

·
Registered
10,729 Posts
The primary reason for more sidewall cracking in Calif vs Canada is stronger sunlight/more UV. This is because we are further south. The sun light comes in on a more direct line/shorter distance thru the atmosphere.

There are other cntributing factors like some people never park their car in a garage and some overuse tire dressing materials that may leach natural compounds out of tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.