DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tire Dry Rot or Not

1111 50
One of our vehicles has Michelin Defender tires with close to 50K miles on them. The tires are 6 years and 3 months old. Tread is 5 - 6 32nds. Since the car will be around longer than the useful life of the current tires I figured I would just replace them now. I'm also curious if any of the photos show dry rot. Dry rot photos online typically show tires with far worse but figured I would share here for some feedback.

Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: SeniorSitizen
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couldn't see any obvious dry rot.

You have a green valve stem caps, which usually means you have Nitrogen gas in the tire - please don't bother putting any in your next set as it really is a waste of time, money, effort.

Many people believe some of the stories - just Google and you'll find many non-technical sites that expound the loose benefits - while most technical sites and tire manufacturers (such as Goodrich for one) don't prefer air or Nitrogen.

Here's a good read from AAA to help save you money and steer clear of the latest hype...
--->> Click It! <<---
We get tires from Costco and nitrogen is what they use. I'm not a stickler for the nitrogen if I need air however.

Thanks

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That does look like the beginning of it.

As expensive as tires are, as long as you're not near the wear bars yet, and the entire profile looks goodt; with 5-6/32 nds I'd keep using them for another while. Especially if you don't drive a lot and don't need to go out in inclement weather with high frequency.

Is the vehicle parked outside and in the sun all the time?
You've touched on some other points I didn't mention and yes, parked outside rain or shine.

1 - Daughters vehicle so a little more concerned.
2 - Drives 70 miles per day round trip for work which I would consider substantial.
3 - In NJ so weather can be an issue during winter months.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts