DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tire Dry Rot or Not

1318 Views 50 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  RonArt
One of our vehicles has Michelin Defender tires with close to 50K miles on them. The tires are 6 years and 3 months old. Tread is 5 - 6 32nds. Since the car will be around longer than the useful life of the current tires I figured I would just replace them now. I'm also curious if any of the photos show dry rot. Dry rot photos online typically show tires with far worse but figured I would share here for some feedback.

Thanks

Attachments

Reactions: SeniorSitizen
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,023 Posts
That does look like the beginning of it.

As expensive as tires are, as long as you're not near the wear bars yet, and the entire profile looks goodt; with 5-6/32 nds I'd keep using them for another while. Especially if you don't drive a lot and don't need to go out in inclement weather with high frequency.

Is the vehicle parked outside and in the sun all the time?

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Blow-outs / blown tires on passenger vehicles are typically due to under inflation / leaky tire or rim edge; and prolonged driving with low pressure.
That's quite a difference from the first onset of tire rot with a some shallow hairline cracks showing on the surface.

Most often blowouts are seen with trailers, typically parked for extended periods of time, owner does not protect the tires, may see they're deteriorated or not and starts towing. Combine bad tire condition, some low pressure, heavy load, long trip ... and there you have another person with a blown trailer tire by the edge of the road.

A lot of new tires come with only 10 or 11/32 tread depth. At 5-6, start keeping an eye out and setting some money aside for a new set of tires, maybe rotate them one more time and then replace when they're getting to be 3-4 and next winter approaches, look for a later summer / fall special.

I just replaced the all seasons on our SUV at 3-4/32. I didn't care for going through another snowy winter with the OEM set, when we use the SUV most in winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts