DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lacquer Thinner - The best cleaner for old brushes or brushes that have harden paint. I also use it every so often to deep clean clean brushes.

Be careful, it's potent, wear glasses, do not use near a flame, do not use where there is a furnance, use in a ventilated area. It also evaporates, keep the cap on. DO NOT fill to the ferrule. The LT will dissolve the glue that holds the bristles. It's reusable, filter through a funnel with a paper towel as the membrane. I use a wire brush immediately after to clean the bristles. It starts working immediately. You may only need to let the brush sit for a few minutes, sometimes longer, sometimes periodically pulling the brush out to use the wire brush before putting it inn the lacquer thinner again.

I do not use this everytime! Only as necessary.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you using the lacquer thinner to clean brushes that were used with latex or oil paints?
Both. People give me brushes crapped up, as I walk my neighborhood I pick them up from the garbage, I clean them then I use them and periodically when I feel they are getting stiff, paint at the foot, a little too much paint in the bristles, not performing as it should, I soak therm in lacquer thinner again then use the wire brush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.