DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok new to the forum... yada yada yada.... need to ask a couple of questions. Just bought a very old home with knob and tube wiring. I am re-wiring the whole 2nd floor. So far I have ran a 3/4 inch pipe from the basement to the attic with 2 sets of black and white in it. Have added 85% of the switch and recepticle boxes. Will be running #12 wire through house.

Question #1. How many wires can I have in 1/2 inch conduit?

Question #2. How many feet of BX are you legally allowed to use?

Question #3. Are there any limit on tying into the main hot set of wires to put in that particular circuit?

Little background also.. I live in NW Indiana (15 mins outside Chicago) so if there is any special codes in Indiana versus the rest of the US.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Different state than Chicago. I doubt that applies. Indiana appears, from a cursory internet search, to be on NEC 2008, minus arc-fault interrupter requirements. If you're in an incorporated city, the city building department will usually provide the home owner with a "cheat sheet" of sorts that points out common things an inspector will look for, and details any local requirements or exceptions. (It may be online.)

Question #3. Not to my knowledge, but pay careful attention to box fill, and be sure to use the correct size wirenuts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts