DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a complete DIY-er: I used to help a friend who was a professional painter. I have used these brands:

Lowe's Valspar (and American Tradition) and meh
Sherwin Williams Duration- no issues
PPG (can't recall which one)- no issues

The last time I did my interior it was Sherwin Williams Duration & I think at the time they had Cashmere. Now every time I go in they are pushing Cashmere with "I can turn my 8 yr old loose with a can of this & they will do an excellent job" but i am not an inexperienced painter & really don't think I want a paint that is "idiot" proof. I enjoy painting once started & do a decent job plus I don't buy into the 1 coat coverage (always do 2 no matter the paint), self-leveling, quick dry, idiot proof, etc.

I am considering Benjamin Moore Regal Select due to a color I like (Gray Cashmere). Sherwin Williams has a color very similar (Sea Salt) but I like the Ben Moore color better (going to test it to confirm). I know each company could color match but will go with which ever has the color I want.

How does bm Regal compare to sw Duration? I have read good things about both but have never used bm. Pros & cons? I want good color depth, UV protection, washable, etc.

Thank you

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Are you painting to sell, or painting because you are growing tired of the colors? We use Valspar if we have to paint a room in our house. Never have had any issues with it.

We have not painted most of our rooms in our house for over 12 years. Only have painted our Bath when we remodeled and my son's room. Other than that, all of the paint still looks good. Washing them down to keep the grease and grime and dust off of them, sometimes helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you. I had it backwards: I was thinking the Cashmere & Aura dried faster. I have noticed with the samples I have bought the paint seems very thick compared to the last Duration I used (both sw & bm samples)...not sure I am liking it but guess no choice now.

Is the Aura or Cashmere worth the price difference? why or why not? I love the look of a flat paint but with mechanic husband, son & 4 legged kids the lowest I have gone is eggshell.

I will do my kitchen first to adjust to the learning curve (not as many full walls to do).

thank you

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
In my opinion Aura is a hard paint to learn how to use. Having said that it is a great paint because it does what it says, fast dry (almost too fast), and 1 coat coverage.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I totally think Aura is worth the price, especially if your looking for a good matte paint. Even as a professional though, the first time I used it I had to sand down some big walls and start over. I tried to apply it in the same manner that I was used to applying slower drying vinyl acrylics and it looked terrible. I overworked it basically.

That said, if you can get the hang of it, work quickly and not overwork it, it's quite forgiving in many other ways. It's not prone to flash or lap, covers well, levels out good, and is quite durable.

If you have some experience painting, might check out the Ben Moore application guidelines and give it a shot.

Cashmere is a great paint too, and doesn't have any special application quirks. I don't prefer it myself because it lacks some performance characteristics of more modern self priming acrylics that I've come to like. But as far as a regular paint (not self priming, or P&P) ,it's good stuff.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Aura is good but fast drying. I wouldn't worry about a paint being "idiot proof". Cashmere does have a subtle but unique finish difference, so go for the result more than how skillful it is to apply! Actually Duration can be touchy IMO too. I actually don't know which paints are better for UV color retention, but other than that, I think Regal, Cashmere, Duration and Aura are all fine paints. But it sounds like you're sticking with that BM color, so Regal or Aura it is. Aura is not a paint that you want to be painting a bunch of W's with on your wall. Get it up in quick columns and move along.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I will check out the application tips for the Aura (since bm seems to be the way I am going due to color choice).

:vs_worry:up in columns & work fast goes against everything I was taught...more research & testing

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Some people think matte and flat are the same, sounds like you know what matte is - slight bit of sheen - more than flat - less than eggshell. Easier to clean than matte. Anything shinier than flat is harder to apply, since any inconsistency is more likely to show in the final dried film.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Thank you. I will check out the application tips for the Aura (since bm seems to be the way I am going due to color choice).

:vs_worry:up in columns & work fast goes against everything I was taught...more research & testing

Yeah, there are a few things about applying Aura that go against the grain of traditional acrylic techniques. Another one is keeping a wet edge between the cut in and rolling. It used to be considered best practice to paint one wall at a time and do the rolling before the edging was dry. This is not recommended with Aura. Let the cut in dry completely before rolling.

As Jeff mentioned, don't try any W or modified W rolling techniques. Up and down only, and try to make as few passes with the roller as possible. As your rolling, if you see a run or skipper in what you've already done, don't try to fix it. Let it dry first. Going back into paint that's been on the wall a few minutes will make it worse.

I find that using the specialty Aura roller naps helps get best results.

Aura is the toughest matte paint I know of. Blows the doors off of Duration Home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would absolutely love to have a true flat paint when and if they ever make it to withstand cleaning!I have not used matte (may have been out last time I painted but not sure). All of the house is eggshell with the exception of my son's bathroom which is satin due to the sauna he creates when showering. I am guessing the matte is going to have a sheen lower than eggshell which sounds like heaven to me.

also thanks for the tips. This may very well be as challenging as picking paint colors:vs_OMG:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jmayspaint- Thank you too for the tips. I will do a lot of "studying" before attempting Aura or any of the new paints. I guess I will miss the 3/8" nap roller I have grown so found of for my walls & work on that patience thing for letting it dry before going back in. The icing on the cake? ceilings to do too!

Already ruled out the Gray Cahmere & Sea Salt- way too beachy for my taste (love the color but maybe in a bath). Now to find the perfect "medium muddy no color, color" for a south facing room with tons of natural light via windows & even more warmth in the wood trim & floors which btw opens to a north facing room with large glass doors & the kitchen with large north facing windows & gets light from the laundry room's west window...Crap!

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
It's fine if you can wet roll over the cut in. But with modern paints it's becoming more and more difficult to do this as a solo painter. Aura is one example, but many paints dry fairly quickly now. Really the only reason you had to do that was to avoid a ridge, but I really don't find it very hard to avoid ridges when cutting in, and feathering it out. If you can't roll over it within 30-60 seconds, then it's probably better to let it completely dry before rolling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.