DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get the hang of much of that cookin thing but i have learned to bake cornbread to perfection in a cast skillet. Baking time is paramount and i've settled on 23 min. / 27 sec. :vs_laugh:with a pre- heated skillet in a 425°F oven. Sometimes i just have to brag.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
14,715 Posts
I can't get the hang of much of that cookin thing but i have learned to bake cornbread to perfection in a cast skillet. Baking time is paramount and i've settled on 23 min. / 27 sec. :vs_laugh:with a pre- heated skillet in a 425°F oven. Sometimes i just have to brag.
Man I looooove good cornbread and that looks like great cornbread. I use to be able to make good cornbread when I was on the fire department but I can't seem to make it worth a cuss now. Now Judy can make good cornbread every time and I dearly love milk and cornbread, it just don't get no better than that. Yeah buddy. I like Tex-Mex cornbread also, good stuff.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I used to use a CI skillet until my shoulders got in too bad shape to hold the skillet and board too turn out. I use a 8" square cast iron pan now with a thinner board. Works perfectly.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,118 Posts
My wife makes a Vidalia onion upside down corn bread. Cover the bottom of a greased cast iron fry pan with Vidalia (sweet) onion slices. Add the corn bread batter and bake. Turn out upside down onto a platter.

Sent from my RCT6A03W13E using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
14,715 Posts
There you are! I was wondering about you. Are you able to stay out of NYC?
I was wondering the same thing about TK.

rjniles, I hadn't thought about that, I bet it is good.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My wife makes a Vidalia onion upside down corn bread. Cover the bottom of a greased cast iron fry pan with Vidalia (sweet) onion slices. Add the corn bread batter and bake. Turn out upside down onto a platter.

This onion thing is above my skill level but i mentioned it to the wife and i'm sure she'll try that. She said jalapeno pepper or bell pepper mixed into the batter as another options she likes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If I am making corn bread for dressing, I add the poultry seasoning and sage to the batter.
Excellent results!

I plan to make corn bread today to go with chili and pinto beans. I use stone ground cornmeal and make a pan liner of parchment paper to prevent sticking. Cook in cast iron, but wife wants to scour my pan when my back is turned, thus the parchment paper. :sad:

RR :smile::smile:

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,118 Posts
This onion thing is above my skill level but i mentioned it to the wife and i'm sure she'll try that. She said jalapeno pepper or bell pepper mixed into the batter as another options she likes.
Another similar and easier version is adding a can of Green Giant Steamed Crisp Mexicorn to the batter.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to use a CI skillet until my shoulders got in too bad shape to hold the skillet and board too turn out. I use a 8" square cast iron pan now with a thinner board. Works perfectly.
I can still tolerate the C I skillet until it's time to dump it over in a platter then I fair much better with 2 hands and potholders in each. Maybe i should dig back into the potholder drawer farther and find that pair of mittens.

·
Retired Moderator
14,715 Posts
If I am making corn bread for dressing, I add the poultry seasoning and sage to the batter.
Excellent results!

I plan to make corn bread today to go with chili and pinto beans. I use stone ground cornmeal and make a pan liner of parchment paper to prevent sticking. Cook in cast iron, but wife wants to scour my pan when my back is turned, thus the parchment paper. :sad:

RR :smile::smile:
That is a great idea to put the sage and stuff in the cornbread when making dressing. Man when you said your wife likes to scour your cast iron skillet it gave me goose bumps, I would cry. lol We have one skillet we use for nothing but cornbread, it is as slick as a piece of glass, scouring it would ruin it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.