DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight while cooking supper, the circuit breaker for the microwave's circuit (20 amp) tripped. I reset it, restarted the microwave, and it tripped again in just a few seconds. After dinner, I plugged it in to a different circuit and it worked fine. So I plugged it back into it's original receptacle, and it still worked fine. It has been in the same receptacle for years, and there's not much else on that circuit.

Is this a symptom that the oven is past its prime? Or should I look closer at the circuit breaker? Or is it maybe just one of those things that will never happen again?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Your breaker or the outlet may need replacing. Or wires may have come loose. I would try that first before tossing the microwave unless you want a new one.

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
micros can be very temperamental, massive mood swings. Works great one moment and then goes wacky the next. I wouldn't worry about it until it does it again.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I would follow sdsester's advice, as it is very good, and it certainly never hurts to check those things out, but, overall, I tend to agree with hardwareman. Another thing to consider, which I know to be the case in certain areas around me is that the "dinner hour", particularly in the summer, is a perfect time to experience voltage drops, which can cause that situation. A lot of people are all coming home from work within the same 2-3 hour time span, turning on lights, air conditioning, televisions, and everything else, so depending on where you set on the grid, it can put a strain on things.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Your breaker or the outlet may need replacing. Or wires may have come loose. I would try that first before tossing the microwave unless you want a new one.
:yes: Look at the plug on the microwave for damage/burn/etc. Look at outlet for the same.

·
Registered
701 Posts
In our old house we had a microwave that would trip the breaker once every blue moon...and by that I mean once every few years. If you have a large one that is gobbling up 1200 watts then it does not take a lot more activity on the circuit to trip the breaker. The fact that it did not continue to trip the breaker, on that or another circuit, leads me to believe in the absence of any compelling evidence to the contrary that it was a load issue.

I would as Leah suggests inspect the plug and outlet for signs of scortching/burning just to rule out a wiring issue at that terminus. Then I would go back to business as usual. If it starts tripping the circuit again I would confirm there is no other load on it and consider replacing it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those inquiring minds: The micro started doing other weird things, chiefly it would start running as soon as the door was closed, and the STOP button wouldn't stop it. So it's history. The plug is OK and the wires are tight, and the new microwave works just fine.

Thanks to all who replied. :thumbsup:

Reactions: drtbk4ever
1 - 7 of 7 Posts