DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use them? I saw them at Home Dustbin and wondered if they where any better, or worse than regular coated or galvanized construction screws.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Timberlok is just a brand name they should have a rating on them, sometimes they include an ESR number, somewhere that will tell you what they are rated for.

In my experience, I have had a positive experience with them but, when it comes down to it if the screw is rated the same it doesnt really matter the brand a screw is a screw.
Also sometimes Hardware is made in the same manufacturing plant and then stamped with different brand names. this happens a lot with nails.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, I just liked the idea that they use a he driver instead of the standard square, some actually use a socket head. They aren't much more than "Regular" Green deck screws, so I wondered how they compared? Thanks! for the info (-:

·
Registered
7 Posts
TimberLok is made by Fasten Master. They're tested and do have ICC ES reports, so they're applicable for structural applications. I specify them on commercial designs often. Simpson now makes the same screws called SDWC or something similar, they're a little smaller diameter than Simpson's SDS screws, but much more economical also.

They are much different than typical deck screws, which are only intended to screw down deck boards and assemble railings.

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
their meant as a more aesthetically pleasing type of fastener to replace the standard issue ugly galvonized lag bolts. as they actually have a true shear rating for structural purposes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed, sadly I had about 90% of the framing done before I stumbled onto them. I only started looking when I realized I needed screws to box in the railing posts )-:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts