DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting tile in my two bathrooms. Each bathroom should have around 23 sq. ft of tiling area. The bathroom in the first picture has a substantial dip in the corner by the pedestal sink, about 1.25". There will be a tub/shower where that ugly vanity is. I like the idea of a self-leveling compound, my plumber said it might impose an additional load to the joists. He suggested sistering the joists using 2x6.

The idea is to remove everything down to the subflooring, make sure everything is level and use Schulter-Ditra underlayment. Tile flooring will most likely be 6x24 tiles unless any of you has a better suggestions. Looking for soma advices on layout, spacing, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If the crawl space is anything but a sealed floor, use pressure treated lumber. There is probably a lot of moisture coming up though the ground.

Make the floor level and true when you sister the joists in. Glue and screw them together with structural screws like GRK RSS Rugged Structural Screw or similar. This is your chance to get it as good as you possibly can so do it right.

If the sub-floor is OSB, replace it with pressure treated plywood. Also glue and screw it in. OSB and water from back then don't play well together. They do now, as long as you buy the right stuff. 5/8 or 3/4 PT CDX plywood would be great. Make sure the seams are on the joists.

Ditra is the way to go. And as long as your at it, think about adding a heated floor. It is heaven in the winter.

·
retired framer
38,857 Posts
I do, but the crawlspace is tight and there is a lot of plumbing, the contractor suggested lifting the subflooring and sistering the joists.
If the crawlspace is that tight, you might fins all kinds of trouble, you should not be spending money on a bathroom with out getting right to the bottom of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts