DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've pulled up all of the cracked tiles and cleaned the area and prepped it for new tile. I go to the stack of tiles and WAIT! This stack has only 2 tiles what I need and the rest are for another room.. oops!

So after researching, I learn that these kitchen tiles are discontinued. I have 8 tiles removed, 2 new ones, and I have 3 old ones that aren't badly damaged where I can maybe scrape the old thinset off the back to reuse? But I'm still needing more tiles.

So my question is... what are some possibilities to do in this scenario? Try to match as closely as I can with something else? I might be able to get tiles from under the washer/dryer to put there and put something else under the washer/dryer?(this idea just came to me as I was typing out the problem)

They are Daltile Village Bend Cream 12x12 tiles. From what Daltile Service Centers told me, they are a Home Depot brand and discontinued at that. Suggestions?

Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to give as much info as possible, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the worst thing you can do is try to come close to a match with something else. Better to get something completely different and make it look intentional - some kind of accent or something. May require removing a few more tiles to get the right design; hard to tell from this picture.
True, I also had that as a thought. I'm not sure what kind of accent I would do so I will take another picture here in a moment and recent a wider perspective of the area. Could I pull up tiles from the laundry Room and scrape the thin set off with a multi tool or muriatic acid and use them in this location?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something just occurred to me - why are you doing this in the first place? Is something wrong with the original installation?
The original tiles were cracked through the middle and raised uneven with the ground so and you stepped on them they would sink down and shoot tile dust out from the cracks in the grout

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
First things first. The tiles were not bad tiles - the substrate is bad. Whatever is happening is going to continue to happen, most likely. You have to address the actual problem first. This is like saying the problem is that you're bleeding, so put a bandage on it to stop the blood. No, the real problem is that you have a bullet in you. Figuring out the problem might actually involve taking all the tile out and then you won't have this problem any more.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First things first. The tiles were not bad tiles - the substrate is bad. Whatever is happening is going to continue to happen, most likely. You have to address the actual problem first. This is like saying the problem is that you're bleeding, so put a bandage on it to stop the blood. No, the real problem is that you have a bullet in you. Figuring out the problem might actually involve taking all the tile out and then you won't have this problem any more.
Well the tiles themselves were cracked through the middle, that's why I assumed they were bad

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Assuming you're not going to do what I suggested, you might also try a thin membrane, such as NobleSeal TS. This might help with whatever is causing the problem. Then take out a few more tiles and do something intentional such as this.
That's also a good suggestion... what is that style of tiling called where there's a similar color but different pattern?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could've just been poor application of the adhesive, like a void, that allowed the tiles to crack.
I circled in red, the areas of tile that were either cracked or lifted. I believe the cracked ones at one point all lifted and walking on them caused them to crack. There was only one owner of this home since 2000 and they were an elderly couple that moved out at the beginning of the year. The house itself is well maintained for the most part, but this city(Carrollton) is known for soil shifting... as is evident by several areas of crown molding separating in several rooms. Upon move in inspection, the foundation was tested in good sound condition. Hopefully this helps paint a better picture of the overall condition and perhaps give insight to the tile issue. I assume the shifting caused the grout to crack(numerous spots in the kitchen and eventually over time, walking on the tiles slowly shifted their adhesive off the slab.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hard to screw up an install like that on a slab, but they managed. Is that thinset white? White is usually wall adhesive and if installed with any thickness at all it would not take much weight.

I'd think you could find someone with a box or so of those things. Could take some doing. But with that much cracking, loose tile and separated grout, you might be way ahead to redo the whole floor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.