DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wondered about that and gave it a test drive--it did flatten the bumps out. When one skim coats, one uses drywall compound, right?

And please pardon my obvious newness to all of this. It's our first house. I'm handy, but this is a very different project from any I've done before.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
I wondered about that and gave it a test drive--it did flatten the bumps out. When one skim coats, one uses drywall compound, right?
Correct.

If you have sanded the worst of it you may be able to skim it now and have good results. Use a six or ten inch broad-knife to spread the joint compound.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Will do. I"m still tearing it off of the walls. I also measured square footage in case I throw in the towel and get a bunch of subway tile instead :)

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the laminate countertop as my backsplash also. :( My question with ripping it out is the electrical socket boxes. The laminate on the walls is 1 inch thick. If I rip it out, then the box is sticking out 1 inch and it does not seem to be able to be pushed into the wall. Any suggestions?

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Backsplash

Now that u removed the laminate, that one side is in bad shape. I would remove the remaining drywall left on the bad side and replace it. Also, if u r installing the backsplash b4 the counter tops, remember to put a piece of wood between the counters and wall on the bottom to compensate for the gap in between. And definitely drill a piece of 2 by 4 in the wall behind the stove leveled with the countertop so your tile doesn't collapse on u while u install it

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Now that u removed the laminate, that one side is in bad shape. I would remove the remaining drywall left on the bad side and replace it. Also, if u r installing the backsplash b4 the counter tops, remember to put a piece of wood between the counters and wall on the bottom to compensate for the gap in between. And definitely drill a piece of 2 by 4 in the wall behind the stove leveled with the countertop so your tile doesn't collapse on u while u install it
Hey Joe? Look at the dates of the posts you are responding to. By the way have you heard? Barrack Obama is your new president.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts