DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Solutions (handyman)
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small job (bathroom approx. 5'x5') that has lino over lino and the client now wants to have a tiled floor. Is it safe to tile over lino or should it be striped down to the sub-floor? Thanks.

·
Solutions (handyman)
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure about the thickness, I'm guessing 3/4". I realize the floor (lino) must be very clean for the adhesive to adhere, but just wanted other opinions.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
When I can certainly be done I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable putting tile over 2 layers of linoleum. I'd consider doing it for one layer but I feel it's too risky over 2.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Agree with Ms above on this. I would not put tile over one layer let alone two. I know some people will put it over one layer, I don't like doing things like that. For a room that small, once you get the toilet out, it shouldn't be that hard to remove the layers in question and get down to the subfloor. If there's a heat register in the floor you can pop it out to get a look at the floor layers.
Mike Hawkins:smile:

·
Administrator
40,794 Posts
Moved to Tiling forum.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Mark,

I do not recommend going over this floor as is, but you need to give us more info to work with. Need to know the type of subfloor and also the type of vinyl and how it's installed.

I might consider it if it's one layer, fully glued to a concrete slab only. If the subfloor system is suspended wood, and if the lino is patterned/cushioned vinyl, no way. Tell us about the subfloor and what's over it.

Jaz

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a small job (bathroom approx. 5'x5') that has lino over lino and the client now wants to have a tiled floor. Is it safe to tile over lino or should it be striped down to the sub-floor? Thanks.
I anticipate you will be married to that floor and enjoy unhappy in-laws for an eternity of you don't go back to square one and install by the book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts