DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
uva uvam vivendo variafit
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a pretty handy guy and can figure out a lot of things on my own. I've given a lot of thought to replacing the tile in the master bathroom and was going to hire someone to do it, but I don't have the cash. My question (and I'm sure it gets asked and answered all the time) is, can a regular fella do this successfully or am I rolling the dice? Just a general question. Some people have told me both and I thought I would ask everyone in here. Thanks.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Yes.... AS Wireless ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ says.

But you'll have a choice of several waterproofing systems/techniques to choose from.

This site has rather excellent knowledge in this area.... JAZZ can answer most any all questions.

Are you semi-proficient with basic tileing, and your inquiry is directed mainly to a shower application.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas. I've never tiled anything. I was gonna start with kitch counters and then move to the bathroom. The bathroom floor, shower, and tub surround will all need to be re-tiled.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Hi Wireless,

You can certainly install tiles successfully as a first timer. Just do a lot of research first. I don't recommend you starting with a shower project, but a small floor or a backsplash shouldn't be too difficult.

Take your time with research first, ask your questions here.

Jaz

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your encouragement and offer for help, JazMan. BY the way, who is your favorite saxophonist? I'm somewhere between Sonny Rollins and David Sanborn (who has the most crisp sound IMO).

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Sonny Rollins & David Sanborn are great musicians. Rollins is considered among the best ever. How about Stan Getz and John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, so many.

Jaz

Reactions: WirelessG

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I listened to a little bit of Getz, and was never big on Coltrane (although many considered him the king). Charlie Parker of course. Have you ever heard of Bela Fleck? He had an HBO or Austin City Limits show about 10 years ago. I bet i watched it 10 times. I also thought the Yellow Jackets were a pretty cool group.

Back to tile, what are your thoughts on tiling over formica counter tops? Some say yes, other say no. If I do, would you recommend a durarock membrane?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts