DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a tile shower but want to put the drain on the far side instead of in the center. To use a center drain means to notch, cut, or drill through 3 floor joists. I'd rather just let it drain to the far side, like a tub. Is this reasonable/possible and, if so, what is the necessary/suggested slope?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm building a tile shower but want to put the drain on the far side instead of in the center. To use a center drain means to notch, cut, or drill through 3 floor joists. I'd rather just let it drain to the far side, like a tub. Is this reasonable/possible and, if so, what is the necessary/suggested slope?
You can put the drain where ever you want as long as you slope to it. I usually figure a 1/4 inch per foot slope. so 4 ft would equal 1 inch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
drain option

another option is a trough drain. this one is 1/2" by 2 feet hidden at the very edge of the tile and the wall .... sometimes people like them to be more visible,prominent, larger, a design feature of the shower.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trough

lot's of companies make them, prices vary extremely widely from the utilitarian to outrageous. kohler and others also have full bases (K-9996, just an example as drain is on wrong edge for you). Generally they look like an upside down hardwood floor attachment for a vacum cleaner... a thin trough angled in depth toward a center outlet, some can be configured with end outlet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts