DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I would like to tile our kitchen but I'm looking for some advice. We would like it if we could just prep the linoleum and tile over it but we don't want a large transition from the hall floor into the kitchen.

Currently there is a 1/4" rise from the kitchen onto the hardwood in the hall. The kitchen is on the second floor of the house. If I as to lay down the concrete sheeting then tile I'd be looking at anywhere between 1.25-1.5" step between the hardwood and tile... Which we don't want.

I've heard you can buy a mesh that gets attached right onto of the linoleum which you then mud. This is suppose to give enough rigidity to supportthe tile without the excessive height. Anyone know if this is true? Or is my best bet to tear up the linoleum and build right up from the sub-floor?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is the "Lino" floor stuck? I personally would rather my tile be bonded to concrete. Your bond is only as good as what you lay over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would definately recomend tearing up the linoleum then I would put a 1/4 inch durarock or some kinda of cement board and use a mud to adhere it to the subfloor and nail it down also with roofing nails the mud we use is a thinset not sure on the brand but Im sure your local tile shop will have the right product for you and when you get your mud lay it down on the subfloor with a 1/4 in notched troll that is what we use on our jobs

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Use cement board...doesn't matter which one, they all work fine.
All cement board makers insist their product is to be installed in a fresh bed of thinset tile mortar (some want modified thinset some want unmodified thinset) then fastened to the substrate with a particular fastening schedule. You can use nails or screws, some allow staples but most don't. All cement boards come with instructions but you may have to look them up online.:)
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
MITCH24: "I would definately recomend tearing up the linoleum then I would put a 1/4 inch durarock or some kinda of cement board and use a mud to adhere it to the subfloor and nail it down also with roofing nails the mud we use is a thinset not sure on the brand but Im sure your local tile shop will have the right product for you and when you get your mud lay it down on the subfloor with a 1/4 in notched troll that is what we use on our jobs"
Mitch, if you are serious about installing tile get yourself a Handbook from The Tile Council of North America and study up. Sounds like you are off to a good start so don't fall victim to unsound installation practices. Tile installation is a good trade to be in but to survive a guy needs to know there are rules, then a guy needs to follow those rules.: Good Luck.:)
http://www.tileusa.com/publication_main.htmhttp://www.tileusa.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
Usually there is underlayment under Lino , SOOO Tear it out and put the backer board down and do it right , It's very likely The underlayment is partical board , You CAN NOT lay tile over particle board , ERR well you can but It doesn't work very well , So Why don't you just tear it out and not worry ,
tacomahardwoodfloors.com

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
No, no, no!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Kemp,

Of course not! People who insist on doing that is one reason my hair is gone. :laughing: Not because it's easier, but because they'd like all the floor to be the same and still have different types of floors. You want the floors the same level? Install the same thing on all the floors like in other parts of the world. :thumbsup:

Tell us more, what do you wanna do?

Jaz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts