DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long explanation - one simple question:

I'm thinking of putting ceramic tile in our two bathrooms...they currently have like just one sheet of vinyl on the floor - figure that will come up easy enough...The house is probably 40 yrs old, so I suspect the subfloor is probably plywood...I'm thinking that since there is not much space to do (probably 40sqft total between the two) I would put down concrete board - whatever that stuff is called - to make the floors nice and stiff for the ceramic...finally, here is my question:
If I put down the hardboard and then the mortar and then the tile,seems as tho my floor will be about an inch or so higher than it was - so what about reinstalling the commode? Will a regular wax ring seal up? Do I put two wax rings on top of each other? Something else? No problem? I don't wanna do all this and then have a problem getting the john to fit right...

What did you do?

·
Architect / Carpenter
28 Posts
Wax rings come in different heights, and can be doubled up if necessary. It's a common issue and the exact solution should present itself once you get the floor installed and can identify the final height difference. Good to be thinking ahead!

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Tile backer add no strength to the floor system ,just an ideal surface for bonging tile---so use 1/4 inch thick.

Put cement based thinset under the backer to fill any voids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts